What are you reading?

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Jestak
Wrestling With Emmett

Re: What are you reading?

Post by Jestak »

Current reading:

1) Faceless Killers, by Henning Mankell. This is the first in Mankell's much-praised series featuring Swedish detective Kurt Wallander. In this one he's in charge of investigating a double murder that took place at a remote farmhouse. I'm not quite halfway in and it's pretty good so far, good enough that I'm pretty sure I'll continue with the series.

2) The Godfather, by Jon Lewis. I'm just starting this, one of the compact but generally informative volumes in the BFI Film Classics series.

3) The Death and Life of the Great American School System, by Diane Ravitch. Ravitch has been a leading scholar and writer on education issues for nearly 40 years; for much of that time she's been more or less in the same camp with political conservatives on a lot of issues. But she's been doing quite a lot of rethinking of her views, and this book is the result. Pretty good.
"May the hinges of friendship never rust, nor the wings of love lose a feather"--Scottish blessing
Jestak
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Jestak »

Current reading:

1) Requiem for an Assassin, by Barry Eisler. This is the sixth, and so far the last, of Eisler's books featuring Japanese-American assassin John Rain. In this outing, Rain is trying to break with his violent past, but the kidnapping of his sometime ally and friend Dox forces him back into action. Eisler has done an excellent job with this series; whether he ever resumes it or moves on to other books and characters, I'll always be interested in anything he writes.

2) Revolution 1989, by Victor Sebestyen. Sebestyen is an expatriate Hungarian journalist; this book is his account of the collapse of Soviet control in Eastern Europe over the course of the 1980s. I'd highly recommend this book; it's a well-written and researched account of a very important period in recent history.
"May the hinges of friendship never rust, nor the wings of love lose a feather"--Scottish blessing
cullengirl
Cataloging the Cullen Library

Post by cullengirl »

Currently reading:

Villete by Charolette Bronte
Lipstick Laws by Amy Holder
Passage to Freedom by Ken Mochizuki
“Darkness will never take me…because I have you. Light of my life, Marissa. That’s what you are.”-LR
Banner by the awesome, beautiful and incredible Nena!
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

Leven Thumps and the Whispered Secret - Obert Skye
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
Melody
Learning to Love Green

Post by Melody »

Half way through The Host and then moving onto The Queens lady. I might re-read pride and prejudice for the millionth time after that...
Read a great book called Looking for JJ a while back. Really good read for those who are looking for something!

xxx

Team Edward - because real men sparkle ;)
Trainee in "Emmetts Demolition Crew"
Jestak
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Jestak »

I finished the Barry Eisler book and moved on to a title in another of my favorite series, Storm Prey by John Sandford. The twentieth (!) of the "Prey" books featuring Lucas Davenport, it's a pretty good one. A trio of hoods breaks into the pharmacy at a major Minneapolis hospital, making off with a fortune in prescription drugs. One witness saw them as they made a getaway--Lucas's surgeon wife, Weather Karkinnen. A complex cat-and-mouse game ensues, as Lucas tries to catch the robbers and keep his wife alive.
Jestak
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Jestak »

Now reading:

1) Murder Between the Covers, by Elaine Viets. This is the second in the "Dead End Job Mysteries," featuring Helen Hawthorne. Still working off the books to avoid paying alimony to her cheating ex-husband, Helen is now working in a Florida bookstore. One day, none other than the store's owner turns up dead, and a friend of Helen's is implicated in the crime.

2) Russia Against Napoleon, by Dominic Lieven. Another good history of Napoleon's invasion of Russia in 1812. What separates this one from others, even good ones like Adam Zamoyski's Moscow 1812, is Lieven's detailed focus on Russia's side of the conflict.
Edwards Ragazza
Officially Bitten!

Post by Edwards Ragazza »

I am Four by Pittacus Lore. I think that is how I spell his or her name. So far its ok and I believe the movie is out on dvd this tuesday so hopefully I will be done with the book.
Banner by TammyAZ
SwanCullen
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by SwanCullen »

I am re-reading "The Girl Who Played With Fire". If you have not read the Girl With The Dragon tattoo series, you should. It's AMAZING! Definitly not a YA book though, as it has VERY adult themes (and violence) in it.
:grin: Proud HalfwayHouse Sister :grin:
Seasons Of Love-A Rosalie/ Emmett story
Edwards Ragazza
Officially Bitten!

Post by Edwards Ragazza »

Jenn I haven't read the booke however watched the foreign films and enjoyed them a lot.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
Banner by TammyAZ