Writers Central

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
missp
Teaching Nessie all she needs to know
Location: Missing my HH SISTERS but loving all the great memories from HH CON 2012!

Re: Writers Central

Post by missp »

When I'm writing - which is NEVER these days! :banghead: - I save my work to the hard drive on my lap top and back it up on my flash drive. I have been advised to buy an external hard drive. I will probably get that sometime this summer because I am planning on writing most if not all of my new fic this summer.
VirginiaMay
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by VirginiaMay »

missp wrote:When I'm writing - which is NEVER these days! :banghead: - I save my work to the hard drive on my lap top and back it up on my flash drive. I have been advised to buy an external hard drive. I will probably get that sometime this summer because I am planning on writing most if not all of my new fic this summer.
That's what I did in the past as well. Unfortunately, as you well know MissP, disaster can strike. If all your hard-copies and back-up copies are in one place, you can lose your work should that place be destroyed in say a fire, flood, tornado, or hurricane (in my case).

That's why I started uploading onto Windows SkyDrive. I do try to keep my flash drive with me wherever I go, but occasionally I forget it at home after updating it. Now that I've started a few original pieces of fiction, and non-fiction alike, I really don't want to risk losing it all. Call me paranoid.

Amanda Beth

Post by Amanda Beth »

Oh geeze I'm OBSESSIVE. I have it on my computer, on an external drive, saved in my gdocs AND Amazon's cloud drive. I don't want to keep in on a flash drive because I have a tendency to lose those and don't want anyone else getting it.
VirginiaMay

Post by VirginiaMay »

AB~ You jinxed me, girl!! I store my docs on my laptop, my back-up hard drive, and on a USB drive. I usually only carry the USB drive with me in my wallet (it's tiny) when I'm going to the library with my kids, but other than that, it stays in a safe place at home. Well, dun dun dun... it's missing!!! :shock:

I'm not panicking though. I think I just placed it somewhere when I was tired and now can't remember where I left it. I don't actually remember taking it anywhere with me recently, but like you said- it's such an easy thing to lose. Sheesh...
alphanubilus
Learning to Love Green

Post by alphanubilus »

I keep mine saved on my PC hard drive... Laptop hard drive... Flash drive, and external back up hard drive. Once completed, (rough drafts) I traditionally send copies out to close friends, so worse comes to worse, they also have copies too! Granted I also have an agent, so she gets a copy too! :P Overprotective much. :P
Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away

Post by Openhome »

:lol: I just counted. Six different locations for my finished works. Yeah. I don't trust computers or the internet or flash drives, so I have two copies of each. We are a sad, sad lot.
VirginiaMay

Post by VirginiaMay »

Update: The USB flash drive is still missing. If there was anything original on there right now, I'd be pulling my hair out. Remind me of this come November!!
Amanda Beth

Post by Amanda Beth »

Ohh no!! Sorry for jinxing you!!
StellaBlueBella
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by StellaBlueBella »

VirginiaMay wrote:Update: The USB flash drive is still missing. If there was anything original on there right now, I'd be pulling my hair out. Remind me of this come November!!
So... What happens in November?

• To comprehend a nectar Requires sorest need.
VirginiaMay

Post by VirginiaMay »

Ah... November is National Novel Writing Month, or NaNoWriMo for short. :write: