What are you reading?

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
'twahy-lahyt'
Lusting for Blood

Re: What are you reading?

Post by 'twahy-lahyt' »

I am working my way through my very long summer reading list. During school I never had time to read so I made this incredibly LONG list of books that I wanted to either read or reread during my summer break. I just finished the newest Midnight Breed novel, Deeper than Midnight, by Lara Adrian. And now I'm reading Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll.
Jestak
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Jestak »

Current reading:

1) This Wicked World, by Richard Lange. This is Lange's first novel, and it's a very promising debut. On the surface, it's a mystery/thriller: ex-Marine and bartender Jimmy Boone is dragged into investigating the death of a young immigrant. But Lange also gives us an exploration of contemporary Los Angeles that rivals anything Michael Connelly has turned out. I'm about halfway through this one and eagerly awaiting the day when Lange writes a second novel.

2) Capital Offense, by Michael Hirsh. Hirsh, the Economics Correspondent for Newsweek, presents a critical account of how the economic crisis of 2007-the present is rooted in policy decisions made during the last 30 years, and how those decisions in turn are driven by a set of economic dogmas. This is looking to be another excellent book on current economic conditions.

3) General Lee's Army, by Joseph Glatthaar. The literature on the US Civil War is enormous, but this is a rare book that truly stands out in that crowded field. Glatthaar has written a history of the Army of Northern Virginia (commanded for most of its history by Gen. Robert E. Lee), but this isn't just a book about battles and generals--it's the story of an army as an institution. Glatthaar covers all the main battles and campaigns, but he also explores issues like the socioeconomic background of the officers and men of the army, and the role of religion within their lives.
"May the hinges of friendship never rust, nor the wings of love lose a feather"--Scottish blessing
fanMNM
Veggie-Vampire

Post by fanMNM »

I got caught up on Katie MacAlister's Dark Ones and Dragon series...

Then I read Matched by Ally Condie...the best way I can describe it is that it seemed to be a mix between The Giver and The Hunger Games (although it was much more tame than the Hunger Games...) I really enjoyed the book, to my surprise.

Then I finished Prom & Prejudice by Elizabeth Eulberg...which was cute and light reading...

I moved on to Passion, the next book by Lauren Kate in Fallen series...it was kinda a filler book (in my opinion) but I liked it more than I did the one right before it. I'm really looking forward to the conclusion of the series...

Now I am half way through Heartless, the newest book by Gail Carriger's Parasol Protectorate series. I think these books are really enjoy...and they always make me crack up laughing. I find her humor similar to Katie MacAlister's...which is a huge compliment in my book! :)

Thank you Naureen!!
Jestak
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Jestak »

My current reading includes:

1) Gone for Good, by Harlan Coben. This is another of Coben's standalone thrillers, and a very good one that grabs the reader right from the get-go. On the day of his mother's funeral, Will Klein comes across evidence that his long-missing older brother is still alive. That same evening, Sheila, the woman he plans to marry, walks out of their apartment and vanishes. That's only the beginning, as Will, a classic Hitchcockian everyman, is plunged into a very intricate set of plots and counterplots, involving the mob, the FBI, and a psychopathic killer who Will has known since childhood.

2) I'll Have What She's Having, by Daniel Kimmel. This is another of my film books, a history of about 70 years of romantic comedies, discussing 15 films from Trouble in Paradise through Love Actually. It's interesting and accessible to a general reader, not packed with film scholar theorizing.

3) The Hellhound of Wall Street, by Michael Perino. In early 1933, at the absolute bottom of the Great Depression, the Senate Banking Committee held hearings on the behavior of banks and other financial institutions during the preceding years. Perino's book focuses on the climax of those hearings, a showdown between the Committee's counsel, lawyer Ferdinand Pecora, and Wall Street titan Charles Mitchell, CEO of National City Bank (now called Citigroup). This is an important, often forgotten episode in US history and Perino's account is well-written and worth reading.
"May the hinges of friendship never rust, nor the wings of love lose a feather"--Scottish blessing
fanMNM
Veggie-Vampire

Post by fanMNM »

Just finished The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan...it was ok, but the ending was weak in my opinion...

Then I finished The Help by Kathryn Stockett...and I loved it!! A great read!!

Now I have to buckle down and get through some the books I plan to have my students read this coming school year. I've got a list I'm considering but I'm just not sure what novels I want to use!

Thank you Naureen!!
smitten_by_twilight
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by smitten_by_twilight »

The Hunger Games, and eagerly waiting for my 12-year-old to finish Catching Fire. Also I'm waiting for As Meat Loves Salt to come in at the library, which looks interesting but not necessarily for a young crowd. Oddly, this book published 2002-2003 has a main character named Jacob Cullen! :lol:
My FanFiction Page ~ Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery
Proud Halfway House Cousin Sister! - Team Alice Celebrity Chef - Seeing the future since 1901
funkidiva
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by funkidiva »

Dead Reckoning by Charlaine Harris - the latest in the Sookie Stackhouse/True Blood series and its just as interesting, action packed and funny as the prevous ones. Love it :) Relationships get more complicated, bonds are broken and an elf makes an appearance...
"And so the lion fell in love with the lamb" "...What shoes had Alice put me in? Stilettos? She'd lost her mind..."
Edwards Ragazza
Officially Bitten!

Post by Edwards Ragazza »

fanMNM wrote: Then I read Matched by Ally Condie...the best way I can describe it is that it seemed to be a mix between The Giver and The Hunger Games (although it was much more tame than the Hunger Games...) I really enjoyed the book, to my surprise.

I loved Matched and can't wait for Crossed. Sits right next to my Twilight books. :)
Banner by TammyAZ
BlueStarEgo
Lusting for Blood

Post by BlueStarEgo »

I've finished "Pretty Little Liars" and started the 2nd book in the series "Flawless".

I've finished every last one of Richelle Mead's books. All 3 series; "Vampire Academy", "Georgina Kincaid", & "Dark Swan".

I'm almost finished with Chelsea Handler's first book "My Horizontal Life" and it is HILARIOUS!

I've finished "My Blood Approves" and started the second in the series "Fate". I know that there's more books in the series, but I may end reading it here depending on how this one ends.

I'm also trying to finish "Burned", another book in the House of Night series.
Chrissy | Team.Edward(T)/Damon(TVD)/Eric(TB)/Adrian(VA)Peeta(THG) | Music.Addict
- - * will you still love me tomorrow? - Amy Winehouse
Edwards Ragazza
Officially Bitten!

Post by Edwards Ragazza »

Just finished a chick lit titled the Gatecrasher by Madeleine Wickham. I give it 2 stars the story started out promising and could have been great if she would have developed her characters better. Left you with a lot of unanswered questions. I doubt she will make a sequel since it was written in 1998.

Next book I am reading is Dying to Have Her by Heather Graham. She is a mystery/romance writer. If you like Mary Higgins Clark then you will like her novels.
Banner by TammyAZ