What are you reading?

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Jestak
Wrestling With Emmett

Re: What are you reading?

Post by Jestak »

Just finished--The Man with a Load of Mischief, by Martha Grimes. This is the first in her mystery series featuring DCI Richard Jury of Scotland Yard and his amateur ally Melrose Plant. Although Grimes is American, I've often felt that she is the most worthy heir to the spirit of Agatha Christie when it comes to giving us English-set mysteries. In this first in the series, titled as all of them are after a pub/inn that is a significant location during the book, we meet Jury and Plant when they team for the first time, to solve a series of murders in a small English village. We also meet some of the cast of eccentric but (usually) lovable characters who inhabit the series, like Jury's hypochondriac Sergeant, Wiggins, with his never-ending stash of cough drops, and Plant's Aunt Agatha, a constant annoyance to both Plant and Jury. I'm getting back into this series and thought I'd give some of the books a reread. Highly recommended.
"May the hinges of friendship never rust, nor the wings of love lose a feather"--Scottish blessing
Brienna
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by Brienna »

The third book from the Gone series
Jestak
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Jestak »

Current Reading:

1) The Narrows, by Michael Connelly. This is another excellent book in the Harry Bosch series, which also links Bosch up with some characters from various of his standalone books. Bosch is still, as in Lost Light, retired from the LAPD and working as a PI. The widow of an old friend of Harry's asks him to investigate the recent death of her husband, a former FBI profiler. Meanwhile, the FBI learns that a serial killer called The Poet, who to their embarrassment is a former agent named Bob Backus, has resurfaced. The agent who almost caught Backus previously, Rachel Walling, is called in to help track him down. Soon, Bosch's investigation has him crossing paths with Rachel and her fellow agents. Like the rest of Connelly's books, this one is very good.

2) The Rise of American Democracy, by Sean Wilentz. This is a very detailed and fascinating political history of the US during the pre-Civil War 19th Century. Beginning with the presidency of Thomas Jefferson, Wilentz describes the political conflicts of the era in depth, and shows how the US evolved politically from the society of the Framers of the Constitution, dominated by the economic and social elites, to one that was far more egalitarian and democratic.
"May the hinges of friendship never rust, nor the wings of love lose a feather"--Scottish blessing
Jestak
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Jestak »

Now reading:

1) Stalked, by Brian Freeman. The third novel in Freeman's Jonathan Stride/Serena Dial series finds them back in Stride's hometown of Duluth, MN--he back as Detective Lieutenant with the Duluth PD, she as a PI. One of Freeman's typically dark and complex plots begins with the death of the husband of Stride's ex-partner on the detective force, Maggie Bei. Was it homicide or suicide? And does the evidence point to Maggie?

2) Dancing in the Glory of Monsters, by Jason Stearns. While the events in Darfur have attracted global attention, another African conflict has drawn far less notice. In the mid-1990s, the aftermath of the Rwandan genocide began spilling over into Rwanda's giant neighbor, the Congo (aka Zaire). Since then, that nation has been wracked by unending conflict. Stearns, who spent a lot of time on the ground in the region over the last decade, has written a compelling and well-informed account.

3) The Quest for Decisive Victory, by Robert Citino. Citino is a prominent military historian. This is an account of the development of military operations, both in theory and in practice, from the Boer War to the opening of World War II.
Nora
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Nora »

I'm currently reading the fourth book in The Vampire Academy series, Blood Promise.
Edwards Ragazza
Officially Bitten!

Post by Edwards Ragazza »

Mary Higgins Clark Little Girls Blue ( I think, if not something like that)
Banner by TammyAZ
dazzel21
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by dazzel21 »

Fanfiction: All The Wild Horses by elusivetwilight. Cowboy Edward, nuff said :swoon: .
"Because each and every one of us needs our own personal brand of heroine."
~Team Edward Forever~
Brienna
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by Brienna »

I just started Cirque du Freak
Edwards Ragazza
Officially Bitten!

Post by Edwards Ragazza »

Cara Lockwood Can't Teach A Demon New Tricks. It is the second novel in the Dogwood Country series. The first was called Every Demon Has His Day. This is first the author wrote paranormal. She normally writes chick lit books that are witty. I have never been disappointed with anything she writes and was leery but surprised I enjoyed it as much as everything else she wrote.
Banner by TammyAZ
marielle
Cliff Diving with Embry

Post by marielle »

I'm reading 'the secrets of the immortal Nicholas Flamel' by Michael Scott at the moment.
I just bought the 5th part of it and started re-reading the series...

anyone else reading or have read this?
These violent delights, have violent endings...Like fire and gunpowder, they consume what they kiss

Respect Team Robsten, Proud addict of the halfway house