Discussion of the Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn 1

Moderators: December, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Chernaudi
Tantalizing Men With Rosalie

Re: Worried about Breaking Dawn?

Post by Chernaudi »

I still hold MR and Summit liable for much of what's wrong with the saga's films as a fan of the novels and the story, and even Stephanie we have to admit has contributed a few hiccups with the things I mentioned that could've been explained better.

But these are things that fans should be pointing out and worrying about. All the critic is supposed to say is if it was a decent, entertaining movie. And it's odd how Roger Ebert said that the first Twilight movie was reasonably good, but has trashed the other two. I'd trust the word of Roger Waters over that of Ebert--only good thing that he did was single out Kristen's performances in all the films, but since he almost worships Kristen, that's not surprising.

I just find that critics who overstep the bounds of reviewing a movie to nit picking things as far as what they "know" vs how the novels portray things to be very annoying and it speaks to me of ignorance and just rubbishing something because it's popular with a group of people.
Audi, Twilight, Cher, Pink Floyd, symphonic/progressive rock, KStew, RP, Bio-Booster Armor Guyver-what's not to like

Team Renesmee, Team Bella, Team Edward.

Fan fic stories: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2192109/
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Post by Tornado »

I completely agree. I feel sorry for Rob particularly, now that he's trying to make his name as serious actor. Kristen, at least, had been seen in a few critically acclaimed films prior to Twilight, but Rob was virtually unknown. Now most critics seem to think they have to find fault with his work because he made his name through a popular franchise. Some of the criticism I read over WFE was ridiculous! I'm hopeful though, that if he pulls off his performance in Bel Ami it will help him a lot, especially since the character he plays is so unsympathetic. It may win over the naysayers.
Jacobs-girl
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by Jacobs-girl »

Tornado wrote:I completely agree. I feel sorry for Rob particularly, now that he's trying to make his name as serious actor. Kristen, at least, had been seen in a few critically acclaimed films prior to Twilight, but Rob was virtually unknown. Now most critics seem to think they have to find fault with his work because he made his name through a popular franchise.
Exactly. I was so pleased that his performance in Remember Me is so strong because it proves to the critics that he can act. There is so much disparagement of Rob and Kristen because they star in Twilight but those critics overlook their strong performances in movies such as Remember Me, The Runaways and Welcome to the Rileys. I don't think that the Twilight movies depict Rob and Kristen's acting skills at their best (I perceived some awkwardness in the first movie in particular, but they have improved since then IMO) but by no means should they be criticized for starring in the saga.
"You want a nice stereo? Drive your own car"" (Bella, New Moon, ch. 1)

"They’re just cliff diving, Bella. Recreation. La Push doesn’t have a mall, you know" (Jacob, New Moon, ch. 7)
Tornado

Post by Tornado »

Even in Remember Me some people were critical, mainly because they didn't like the ending. Also, I don't think the role was a huge departure for him, but WFE was a good arm's length from Edward Cullen, and many were still highly insulting. Also, it seems a lot of people equate good acting with the ability to yell on screen, and since it looks like he does that in Bel Ami, and also plays a cad, that might make them like him more.
RebeccaCullen
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by RebeccaCullen »

TL is the only one of the main three I've not really heard people say nothing bad about. At least, not to the extent I have like Rob and Kristen.

None of the projects TL has lined up seem like something I'd see; Abduction sounds a lot like the Jason Bourne series.

Both of Rob's movies, RM and WFE, were movies I probably woulda caught on tv b/c of their trailers and the second one had Reese Witherspoon in it. And, well, I'm not particularly fond of Kristen, and I've watched WTTR and thought it was okay and couldn't really get into TR. The fairy tale she's going to be in sounds promising, and I may just see it.
Tornado

Post by Tornado »

Of course, Taylor hasn't done much outside of Twilight. It will be interesting to see the reaction to Abduction. I must confess, from what I've seen, I have concerns about whether it's going to work. But I hope I'm wrong, because I like the Jason Bourne style of thing.
Chernaudi
Tantalizing Men With Rosalie

Post by Chernaudi »

I don't know if this is somethign that's been mentioned yet or not, but how do you think that Nessie's powers will be portrayed in the film?

And on the subject that we've been talking about, there's an article on the main page talking about the cast members and such any possible carry over success and if the fandom will follow them.
Audi, Twilight, Cher, Pink Floyd, symphonic/progressive rock, KStew, RP, Bio-Booster Armor Guyver-what's not to like

Team Renesmee, Team Bella, Team Edward.

Fan fic stories: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2192109/
Tornado

Post by Tornado »

Yes, I commented on that article. It's very interesting. I do think the movies they have been in post-Twilight have done better at the box office than they would have otherwise.

With Nessie's powers, I think she will just touch someone, like Bella for example, and they will show a flashback, much like the one Bella had when she saw Wayland's body in Twilight the movie, or when she sees the group of men in New Moon and is reminded of the men who attacked her in Twilight. That kind of thing. I think that's what they will also use when they (hopefully!) show Edward reading Bella's mind at the end of part 2.
Emmettroselover
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Emmettroselover »

I missed a lot on here but I wanted to touch on some of the stuff I read. Rob and Kristen had their tests and now TL will. I think Rob is definitely criticized unfairly, especially for things he could not control. His acting in Remember Me was not bad at all and yet because people did not like the ending, they somehow blame him for it. The criticism in WFE was certainly ridiculous, but I think enough of the fans dismissed the critics and know that Rob can act. With Taylor, Abduction will be his first big thing since Twilight and since he does not have a big resume to back up his acting skills....I do not think Sharkboy and Lavagirl or Valentine's Day should count.....this will be a big test for him. I hope it does well, but also can see the pitfalls in putting so much faith in a movie like that. Taylor is such a sweet guy, but he certainly lacks in range when it comes to acting. I am not sure if Abduction will be able to show that range or get the draw that he wants. I know a lot of his fans from the saga will support it, but the real question is will that be enough.

As far as the critics go, with any movie, they seem to be overly critical and ridiculous. It is pretty obvious that a lot of movies critics bow down to are movies the general public are not in love with and there are movies they hate that the public loves. This is why I do not put too much effort into listening to critics in general. They have bashed plenty of actors that are amazing and have gone on to be well respected in the business.

As for MR, I guess it depends on where you get your feedback from because I do not think she gets blamed for every aspect of the saga. I think she should hold a good chunk of the blame as the screenplay writer, but the studio, directors, and even SM get blamed too. I guess it just depends on if you have a sore spot when someone mentions not liking something MR has done. She has messed up parts, altered entire scenes, and made things complicated when they should not have been. Does that mean we should take it to the extreme and say she gets blamed for everything or it is all her fault? Probably not. MR gets blamed for poor scripts and interpretation and I think that is fair. After Twilight, plenty of people blamed Hardwicke for the way it turned out so it is certainly not just MR who gets blamed for the lackluster ways in which the films have turned out at times. I blame Summit for their greed and lack of interest in what the fans truly want. I blame SM for having plot holes that leave things up for interpretation and a whole book that is controversial so it will no doubt make it hard to adapt to film. I think there is plenty of blame to go around and do not take it personally when MR gets that blame too.

I do think that if the Quil and Claire moment is brought up, it could work in BD, but I am not sure if it will happen onscreen. It should certainly be in there to warn people, but if it seems random or like it was just dropped in for the sake of trying to add it then I think it should be left out. The imprinting on Renesmee was hard to swallow for many fans....some even stopped reading it....even when we knew it was a possibility so I am not sure how much it will soften that blow.
RebeccaCullen
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by RebeccaCullen »

There are few movies that both critics and viewers both like. I mean, I've read generally positive reviews from those that have taken the chance to watch RM after it came out on DVD and it has a 70% fresh on Rotten Tomato's from the viewers but a 28% from the critic's (WFE has a 74% fresh from the viewers, and a 60% from the critic's). Between Rob, Kristen and Taylor, I do think that Taylor's lack of branching out may just hurt him in the long run as he tries to shed his TW image because all the roles he has lined up all seem the same.

The whole triangle thing that played out in the third book was made worse with how Summit marketed the movie. That marketing scheme left a worse taste in my mouth then that one time I had a McRib from McDonald's a couple summers ago. *shudders* Even now, some of the marketing that Summit is doing is confusing because Edward and Bella get married, but Jacob is right up front with them; I wouldn't have a problem with him being on the thing's if he was placed at the same level as the Cullen's and not more important then them.