Discussion of the Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn 1

Moderators: December, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Chernaudi
Tantalizing Men With Rosalie

Re: Worried about Breaking Dawn?

Post by Chernaudi »

I don't know why we're arguing about this, considering that Kristen seems to get it more than Rob or Taylor do in my book, and especially the higher ups at Summit.

And from reading the novels, this really is the closest that Bella comes to meeting her end. In Twillight, James was stopped before he could get the job done. The wolves held Victoria at bay in New Moon. In Eclipse, the Cullens and the wolves stopped Victoria and her army before they could get to Bella and do their bidding. In Breaking Dawn, there's not much that the Cullens can do because Bella and Rosalie won't let them, and Jacob won't let the wolves kill Bella and Nessie. The other threats could be stopped, and there's that somber fact of risk there. But by far, to me at least, other than Bella's issues in NM, this is the most somber and scary part of the saga.

Either someone messed up the translation and omitted something, or someone intentionally twisted Kristen's words, or whatever, I do think that she gets this better than most people, including some of the cast, most of the people at Summit, and probably better than the so-called "fans" who say that she can't act.
Audi, Twilight, Cher, Pink Floyd, symphonic/progressive rock, KStew, RP, Bio-Booster Armor Guyver-what's not to like

Team Renesmee, Team Bella, Team Edward.

Fan fic stories: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2192109/
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Post by Tornado »

I don't think it's a big deal. Yes, this is more dangerous. I just thought it was funny that there was a suggestion that this one was different because it was "serious and sombre". As opposed to ...? I'm sure Kristen was misquoted or taken out of context. I'm not picking on her, even if she did say it. It was probably just one of those things said in interviews sometimes that you say for lack of anything better to say. It just struck me as being a bit ironic.
Chernaudi
Tantalizing Men With Rosalie

Post by Chernaudi »

Well, there's also the saying that we contain the seeds of our own destruction--maybe Kristen was referring to that with Bella not wanting to give up the pregnancy. I sort of doubt it, but that could be one meaning.

It could also be a reference to the fact that outside forces were the dangers in the past, and now the danger is coming from within, both literally and figuratively.

I apologize if I seemed to be cranked, but I do tend to get touchy when people mince Kristen's words and it gets a rise out of people. The fact that it's 9/11 and I'm not in the best of shape physically or mentally right now has me a bit on edge--I feel like I should've gone to bed a couple of hours ago, but I've decided to check out timing and scoring for the warm up session for the Le Mans Series race at Silverstone and check on a few other things. At least it's given me the opportunity to write this.

I think what Kristen was trying to allude to was that the hazards posed to Bella in the past were from the outside, and now one of the things that she holds to be most important to her is what might kill her (granted, she and everyone here know better as far as how the story plays out, but within canon, Bella doesn't know, nor anyone else in the story at that stage what would happen).
Audi, Twilight, Cher, Pink Floyd, symphonic/progressive rock, KStew, RP, Bio-Booster Armor Guyver-what's not to like

Team Renesmee, Team Bella, Team Edward.

Fan fic stories: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2192109/
corona
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by corona »

As to Kristen's comments, I look more at her first words that state that this is it, she is married and that her and Edward will be moving forward from that point. She clearly doesn't see any ambiguity during the pregnancy.

I saw both Bella and Edward as accepting false conclusions during that time. Edward thinks that since the child is killing Bella, the child must be a monster. Bella thinks that since the child is not a monster, that everthing will be OK. Both were wrong. We DO see Edward coming to a new understanding. I have always wondered, however, if Bella ever understood the danger she was in. The child might not be a monster, but that doesn't mean it isn't capable of killing her. Did she ever have doubts? I wonder if they will portray that.

I really hope they show us the scene where Edward realizes that Bella is intent on delivering the child.

And I hope they get Rosalie's dynamics right, and the give and take with Jacob during that time.

One thing I will say about Bella, she understands that her human days are winding down. From that perspective, I don't really begrudge her wanting Jacob around. I know I go back and forth on that, it is so difficult to strip away past events and Jacob's enduring obsession with Bella. But from Bella's perspective, I can see her wanting Jacob beside her as a friend and as a human, someone who may be the last human connection she ever has in her existence. Even if the vampirization is successful, she believes many things are coming to an end. It has been my experience that when people know they are in their final days they tend to be needy. That doesn't necessarily mean they are overbearing, but if they really want something they will tend to be vocal about it, and stubborn as well, and I can't really blame them.
"It will take an amazing amount of control,” she mused. “More even than Carlisle has. He may be just strong enough…the only thing he’s not strong enough to do is stay away from her. That’s a lost cause.”
Tornado

Post by Tornado »

corona wrote:I have always wondered, however, if Bella ever understood the danger she was in. The child might not be a monster, but that doesn't mean it isn't capable of killing her. Did she ever have doubts? I wonder if they will portray that.
I think she made it clear in her first conversation with Jake after he found out about the pregnancy that she knows she isn't going to survive this as a human. All she really wants to do is stay human long enough to give birth and after that she knows she will be a vampire. I'm not sure she had doubts about whether or not she was capable of doing that much, but, in any case, it turned out she was right!
Jacobs-girl
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by Jacobs-girl »

corona wrote: I have always wondered, however, if Bella ever understood the danger she was in. The child might not be a monster, but that doesn't mean it isn't capable of killing her. Did she ever have doubts? I wonder if they will portray that.

I really hope they show us the scene where Edward realizes that Bella is intent on delivering the child.
Yeah, I want that scene to be in the movie too. I think it would have to be a very intense scene, with the reality suddenly hitting Edward that Bella could actually die.

I would also like a scene in which Bella articulates some of her feelings about the pregnancy and birth. I bet she did have some doubts, despite her determination. If she didn't have any at all, she's amazingly brave! But she's only human, after all, and therefore I think it would be realistic for her to be worried and doubtful at times. I think she probably did understand the danger of her situation due to the physical injuries she suffered during the pregnancy: several broken ribs, etc, as it is not normal for that to happen during a regular human pregnancy.
"You want a nice stereo? Drive your own car"" (Bella, New Moon, ch. 1)

"They’re just cliff diving, Bella. Recreation. La Push doesn’t have a mall, you know" (Jacob, New Moon, ch. 7)
Tornado

Post by Tornado »

Yes, it would be interesting to see that. I'm just hopeful that if they have that scene that it will be with Edward, and will show the love between them.
corona
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by corona »

And then Edward said, “Did you say something?” in a puzzled tone. [when Edward first hears Renesmee]

C'mon, we're all going to be looking for it. I think when we first see it on screen we'll get chills; I bet I will. Exit the burning man and enter the new reborn Edward. That was great to experience in the book. Edward can't see any way this will turn out good, and then suddenly he realizes that it just might, and accepts the responsibility and rejects failure as an option. It was fun to experience that in the book.

You can tell from Rob's comments that while he understood the restraint that was necessary for Edward's character, that he found it very frustrating at times. I am very curious to see how he portrays Edward once he is back to walking tall again and with a new-found maturity and optimism that wasn't quite there before. Everything suddenly comes together and all of the elements fall into place and his greatest fears are finally laid to rest, and the real Edward steps forward. Can't wait to see it.
"It will take an amazing amount of control,” she mused. “More even than Carlisle has. He may be just strong enough…the only thing he’s not strong enough to do is stay away from her. That’s a lost cause.”
GrayceM
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by GrayceM »

Tornado wrote:Grayce, I think all the parents (apart from Embry's mum) know about the pack, but I think that's because they are connected to the tribal elders. I don't think Emily's parents know about it, so I don't think that Claire's are going to be told either. Not sure about that, that was just the impression I got.
Yes, but at this point, Claire is only two and Quil is probably similar to Jacob as being 25 physically but average about 16 years old. Won't the entire tribe, whether or not they know about the shape-shifting, realize that these kids aren't aging past this point in their lives? Sure they begin to age again when they quit phasing for a while, as explained but, that could be years. Were only the Council members supposed to know?
And come to think of it, were the elders watching these "boys" to see if there were any signs since they knew that vampires being close would bring on the change? They knew what the Cullen's were supposed to be, and he seemed to believe it, at least in the Twilight movie version. Why wouldn't they have had some sort of warning... Jacob tells Bella that it took Sam two weeks to calm down enough to change back...so why wouldn't the council have pulled them all aside and told them to at least recall the "legends of their tribe to sort of forwarn them it was a possibility. Didn't one of them (Billy, I think) mention that they had seen it happen when they were a child? And Quil's grandfather...

Gah! I'm going to end up reading the books again before Nov if I keep on!
Grayce
GrayceM
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by GrayceM »

I think Bella understood all the potential problems that may come out of the pregnancy. She had already decided she could spend a little longer as a human, but I think that once she felt the nudge, all her plans went out the window. She even tells Jacob that she's not planning on surviving this as human. She knew Esme's story and thought that if she could just keep her heart beating, it didn't matter how much damage was done to her body, because the venom would heal it.
Since this is an accelerated pregnancy, it would be less time that she's still human and in danger and it's much easier on her once Edward hears the child.

I can't wait to see this!
Grayce