Discussion of the Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn 1

Moderators: December, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Re: Breaking Dawn Movie, Take 1

Post by Tornado »

I thought the addition of Flightless Bird was a nice touch too, corona!

We know that Rob plays Renesmee's lullaby, but I don't think that will be until number two, although I'm interested to hear what else Carter Burwell has written for the score. I'm also glad that Angus and Julia Stone is on it, although I'm sorry Muse isn't there.
RebeccaCullen
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by RebeccaCullen »

I think someone in the comments on the blog said that Muse was being recognized as the Twilight band or something, and didn't want that so they decided to not add anything this time around. The last song they did that was added was kinda bad from what I can remember of it because it wasn't one of my favorite tracks used.
Tornado

Post by Tornado »

Yes, I didn't like Neutron Star Collision very much. It sounded like a rehash of a couple of their other songs. But I wouldn't have minded an existing song on there :-( Hopefully they'll use Uprising in number two!
corona
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by corona »

RebeccaCullen wrote:There are only three songs on the soundtract that I want to hear, and one is the Iron & Wine song.

I bitterly accept that Jacob's going to be on the cover of the darn soundtrack cover, but must they inclue the wolves and not the Cullen's? When did the vampires in the series become second class to the wolves cuz I'm calling b/s on the pack, who's only link to the series now is through Jacob in BD, being there but not Bella's vampire family that she married into. I almost wish that the cover was just the sun rise.
RebeccaCullen,

Considering this is only the CD soundtrack cover, I wasn't that disappointed. Certainly if the wolves were in human form that would be different. Here, our three main characters are the obvious focus, and at least Jacob is separated from our young couple. The wolves look like they are merely there as a background filler and were likely inserted due to their low profile. It looks to me like our main characters against the rising sun background is the primary design choice, and the artist decided not to clutter the background with additional standing images.

If anything, I don't see the wolves as taking precedence over the Cullens but more as the only active threat in BD1.

Now, if you REALLY want to discuss something, I think you might have fun with BD2, movie poster and/or soundtrack cover.

How do you solve the problem of Jacob and Renesmee? You simply cannot have the three main characters by themselves in the foreground anymore.

So, how do you solve that?

Do you have B&E by themselves to the side, and J&R to the other side, holding hands? Awkward.

Do you put J&R further into the background? Obvious awkward avoidance. Hey, where's Jake? Uh, he's hiding in the background now. You don't want to lampshade that by obviously trying to hide it.

Do you put B&E&R by themselves and Jacob to the side? Hmmm, that is possible, but the real selling point on BD2 is Bella as vamp, not as a mother.

Here is the solution, and you heard it hear first:

ONLY Bella is in the foreground, everyone else, including Edward, is background filler. The emphasis on Bella alone provides the perfect excuse for burying Jacob and Nessie's relationship into the background.

I'm just having some fun, but believe me, I bet the BD2 poster is going to take the most work of all to get just right.

To make this crystal clear, I am assuming two things. First, Bella will absolutely be given her prominence in the poster. Second, Jacob's relationship with Nessie will not, it is too awkward, but it can't be avoided either, at least not easily. That leads to removing Edward's prominence, as it only highlights Jacob's absence. One other possible solution is to only have Bella on the poster, period. Or maybe superimpose her face across a scene of the Volturi confrontation.

Bottom line, if Jacob is removed or put into the background, the same will happen to Edward. That isn't fair, but I bet it will happen.
"It will take an amazing amount of control,” she mused. “More even than Carlisle has. He may be just strong enough…the only thing he’s not strong enough to do is stay away from her. That’s a lost cause.”
GrayceM
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by GrayceM »

corona wrote:Here is the solution, and you heard it hear first:

ONLY Bella is in the foreground, everyone else, including Edward, is background filler. The emphasis on Bella alone provides the perfect excuse for burying Jacob and Nessie's relationship into the background.

I'm just having some fun, but believe me, I bet the BD2 poster is going to take the most work of all to get just right.

To make this crystal clear, I am assuming two things. First, Bella will absolutely be given her prominence in the poster. Second, Jacob's relationship with Nessie will not, it is too awkward, but it can't be avoided either, at least not easily. That leads to removing Edward's prominence, as it only highlights Jacob's absence. One other possible solution is to only have Bella on the poster, period. Or maybe superimpose her face across a scene of the Volturi confrontation.

Bottom line, if Jacob is removed or put into the background, the same will happen to Edward. That isn't fair, but I bet it will happen.

I wouldn't have a problem with that really...though I'm a Bella & Edward fan, it is Bella who is the telling the story, for the most part. Bella who all this stuff happens to, again for the most part, and Bella's role is pivotal in the confrontation with the Volturi. It would make sense to put her in the forground alone of the Pt 2 poster...red eyes...maybe a little "Jane" smile on her face for being a little more confident in herself...
Grayce
corona
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by corona »

GrayceM, I can see that. Putting Bella out there by herself solves some problems, and that by itself, an easy solution, will be very tempting for whoever designs the BD2 poster. Still, it's hard to see the minimization or removal of two of the main actors, but finding a way to portray Renesmee in the poster is going to be problematic.

I read some good news concerning BD1, nothing earth-shattering, but still good. Bill Condon apparently did a lot of work with MR on the script, his favorite of the movies is the original TW, and he sees a connection between BD and the original, and the reprise of Flightless Bird was always his intention. All of that sounds very good to me, there is definitely something about the original movie that stands out as far as getting some of the mood right, and that final gazebo scene I thought really nailed it.

And that flashback scene was hinted at again. Few details were offered, except that it isn't a flashback to one of the Cullens while they were human. The high expectation is that it will be Edward. Maybe, possibly, it will be during his rogue years.

Oh, and B&E making out the night before the wedding is definitely in and definitely hot. Good.
"It will take an amazing amount of control,” she mused. “More even than Carlisle has. He may be just strong enough…the only thing he’s not strong enough to do is stay away from her. That’s a lost cause.”
Tornado

Post by Tornado »

I think that there will certainly be a version of the BD 2 poster with just Bella. Having her as a vampire will be a drawcard for a lot of the non-book reader fans, and if she's there with red eyes, the difference will be quite noticeable. It will be a good visual.

I'm still hoping that the flashback scene will be the Cullens meeting the Denali vampires, with the emphasis on Tanya hitting on Edward. I want it to be this because this means it might be a part of Rosalie and Alice telling Bella about Tanya, which will lead to Bella being jealous. I imagined them telling her about it while they are doing her hair for the wedding. I don't know if it will happen this way, but I would like it if it did.
RebeccaCullen
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by RebeccaCullen »

corona wrote: Considering this is only the CD soundtrack cover, I wasn't that disappointed. Certainly if the wolves were in human form that would be different. Here, our three main characters are the obvious focus, and at least Jacob is separated from our young couple. The wolves look like they are merely there as a background filler and were likely inserted due to their low profile. It looks to me like our main characters against the rising sun background is the primary design choice, and the artist decided not to clutter the background with additional standing images.

My main problem with it is what the DVD cover for part 1 will look at this point because there's usually some sort of correlation between the soundtrack cover and the DVD cover.

I shudder at the thought of what the posters/group promotional images will be for part 2. The lazy way would be the put just Bella, but I honestly doubt that'll be the case. The cynic in me wants to add something about Jacob, but I don't feel like getting into what feels like a war of the words with some people over Jacob again.

I almost want to see the official poster for part 2 being something like Bella in the front with Edward directly behind her with his arms around her waist, and their child in her arms with Jacob standing a little further behind/away from them and not creepily holding/touching Bella or Renesmee.

And hearing that BC worked with MR to bring back the feel of TW brings me some comfort.
corona
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by corona »

Tornado, you know, you just made me wonder if the Denali clan will be in the flashback, but maybe for the immortal children sequence? That would be some heavy duty foreshadowing, pretty ham-handed, but you never know.
RebeccaCullen wrote:I almost want to see the official poster for part 2 being something like Bella in the front with Edward directly behind her with his arms around her waist, and their child in her arms with Jacob standing a little further behind/away from them and not creepily holding/touching Bella or Renesmee.
Hey, how about a shot of Bella trying to pull Renesmee in, with Jacob holding onto the child and starting intently at her? Not going to happen! ;)

However, if you wanted to show the relative importance of a character, then you would have to put Jacob back even farther. After all, he pretty much drops out of the book once he brings Charlie over. His primary importance is his status as the imprinter of Nessie which binds the wolf pack to the Cullens, and as an object of hatred by Irina. His role becomes a very passive one, and he is no longer a driver of the plot. There are rumors his role will be expanded for BD2, which isn't surprising since his role is virtually non-existent for most of that part of the book except for occasional comic relief.
Tornado

Post by Tornado »

Yes, corona, I wondered that, but I think it would be better to save that for BD 2 so it's fresh in the audience's minds.

I always wondered about those scenes they shot at the Orpheum Theatre (was that its name??). They were supposed to be set in the past (there were rumours that KStew was there, but I think that was unconfirmed) and I wondered if it wasn't some dance or something that they met at, and Tanya was dancing with Edward and trying to flirt, and he was resisting. That's how I see it in my mind, anyway. I'm probably completely off base, but what the hell, it's fun to speculate!
Last edited by Tornado on Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.