Chapter 11: ...I-Never-Want-To-Do list

Our chapter by chapter discussion of Breaking Dawn.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
lady4string

Re: Chapter 11: ...I-Never-Want-To-Do list

Post by lady4string »

I know this doesn't go with the initial questions, but after Jacob embraced his inner Alpha and was free of Sam's strings, how were Seth and Leah (and later Embry and Quil) able to leave Sam and follow Jacob? I thought they would be bound to him due to his power, but somehow they were able to break the strings. Do wolves have a choice since there are two Alphas, but if that's the case, someone may just not like one Alpha or have a disagreement and then walk away. Then that could mean that an Alpha would possibly lose his pack.
misskiley
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by misskiley »

1. Jacob says he doesn’t want to be pack leader and that Sam was better at it; however, there were several instances of Jacob proving he’d be a great leader. What were these examples?
Jacob has always acted, for the most part as a leader to me. He just comes off that way. Although, I do think Sam makes an excellent leader and Jacob might be a little to ill-tempered to do it, Jacob definitely is a good decision maker.

2. Do you think Sam was worried about Jacob being the Alpha because Jacob would prevent them from attacking the Cullens, or because Sam wasn’t ready to give up his role as pack leader?
I knew Sam had offered the leader spot to Jacob, so I was somewhat surprised when he was wanting to challenge him for that spot so quickly, even if it was so Jacob could not tell them to attack the Cullens.

3. On both sides – the Cullens and the La Push pack – we see parallel characters. Who do you think parallels with whom and how?
Paul and Emmett.. for fighting and strength lol and.. the rest are somewhat alike but all very different.

4. Why is Seth the only wolf to follow Jacob? Why didn't his best friends join him?
The others were under order from Sam, who outranks all of them except Jacob, so they had to listen to him, but Seth was already doubting and not wanting to do this, so I think it was a lot easier for him to break free and follow Jacob.

5. What do you think went through the pack’s minds when Jacob left and then Seth disappeared from their minds as well?
I'm sure they were all shocked and somewhat afraid, they probably didn't think something like this was possible so when it did happen they were confused. And I think they maybe have been somewhat afraid.. just for the fact of, their best friend/brother was joining with the vampires and working against them,.. they basically lost a brother almost.
you.are.my.heroin

Post by you.are.my.heroin »

1. Jacob says he doesn’t want to be pack leader and that Sam was better at it; however, there were several instances of Jacob proving he’d be a great leader. What were these examples?
When Jake listens to the Cullens and doesn't over react about the baby, he addmitted Sam is better, and he doesn't want people following him to what could be death.

2. Do you think Sam was worried about Jacob being the Alpha because Jacob would prevent them from attacking the Cullens, or because Sam wasn’t ready to give up his role as pack leader?
I don't think Sam wants to give up the leadership positon.

3. On both sides – the Cullens and the La Push pack – we see parallel characters. Who do you think parallels with whom and how?
Esme & Emily/Sue - are the mothers
Emmett & Paul - the buff guys lookin for a fight
Carlisle & Billy - the smart level headed leaders
Rose & Leah - stubborn headstrong women
Alice, Seth (my favorite wolf I love that kid), Jasper, Sam, Edward, Embry, Bella, and Jake don't really match with anyone

4. Why is Seth the only wolf to follow Jacob? Why didn't his best friends join him?
Seth likes the Cullens a lot, Edward mostly. Quil has to stay with Claire, and Embry doesn't want to leave his home I think.

5. What do you think went through the pack’s minds when Jacob left and then Seth disappeared from their minds as well?
I really don't even know
**Kathryn**
Gochiruzeru

Post by Gochiruzeru »

I can't remember any, haha.

Because Jacob would protect the Cullens.

I never really thought of it that way...I'm not sure. It's an interesting thought, though.

Seth is the only one who likes the Cullens, and genuinely doesn't want to see them get hurt. No one else cared, so no one else followed Jacob.

My guess would be that they were very angry -- a lot of feelings of betrayal.
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Post by Tornado »

His defending Leah during the fight, his organising with the Cullens various aspects of the fight and Bella's protection, his being willing to discuss it with them in the first place.

I think it was probably a bit of both. Sam is used to being obeyed by now, and has always tried to do it responsibly. The fact that Jacob reacts to such an intense push for obedience from Sam means that Sam's most extreme Alpha side is already in play. Tension is bound to result.

Jacob parallels with Rosalie at this point, as they are both willing to do anything to defend Bella against their own family, as it were. Apart from wanting to kill Bella, Sam parallels Edward, in that his solution is that the baby's life is ended as soon as possible.

Because they don't have the same view of the vampires as Seth. He is the only one who considers them worthy of the same protection that the pack offers to the humans.

I thought they might have thought at first that the Cullens had done something to them, but then realised that they simply couldn't hear them anymore, and this would have caused great grief, as they would have seen the extremity of the split.
Brienna
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by Brienna »

Nope, can't give examples for that one... :S

I would think both. I think Sam was genuinely afraid of the threat and he felt they had to do something about it. But also, almost everyone would like to keep their place as leader, so he must've been afraid about that too.

I'm really not into the wolves that much, trying to figure that out.

Because Seth is the only one who also feels that strongly about not attacking the Cullens.

Panic. I think they must panicked at first. They must have felt betrayed, and sad.
adorey
Settled in Forks

Post by adorey »

Jacob sees the pack as individual people, not soldiers to be commanded to their positions. He has an awareness of Seth's naivety, that he is still a child and therefore tries to protect him where he can.

I think it's a bit of both. Sam seems to be more level headed, whereas Jacob tends to act on his feelings. I think Sam feared that jacob's infatuation with Bella would have impacted on his leadership if Jacob was Alpha. However i also think that Sam likes being Alpha and wouldn't have given up his role so readily.

Rose and Leah - both have had their hearts broken and both can be very stubborn and unlikeable at times.

Emmett and Paul - big, burly, love to fight

Emily and Esme - both love their familes unconditionally

Billy and Carlisle - both are wise and are 'head' of the family

The Cullens are too much of a threat. Seth is the only one other than Jake that has spent a long amount of time with the Cullens to know that they are a peaceful family with no intention to harm any living being. The pack's fear of the Cullens overwrites any feeling of loyalty that tthey had with Jake.

'Oh crap'.