What was the last movie you saw?

Off-Topic Conversation regarding music, movies, TV, plays, etc in general the entertainment industry.

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
marielle
Cliff Diving with Embry

Re: What was the last movie you saw?

Post by marielle »

I watched Red Riding Hood, which I found surprisingly good, I loved the setting and the idea of teh retelling of the fairytale. the only minors I found was that they lacked the character introduction and the time they spend to really get into the love triangle, they should have taken 10 minutes extra to do that

yesterday I watched 2 Nicolas Cage movies, the Season of the Witch and The Sorcerers Apprentice.
The Season of the Witch had a great story line but it wasn't worked out well enough, and I don't like the end

the Sorcerer's Apprentice was nice, I loved Nicolas in that one, he has a way to make things funny. and it's a Disney movie... I even recognized one scene from the original Merlin animated movie in this movie. that was really funny. I just wished they had casted somebody else for the apprentice role, this guy just didn't do it for me
These violent delights, have violent endings...Like fire and gunpowder, they consume what they kiss

Respect Team Robsten, Proud addict of the halfway house
Jestak
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Jestak »

Tonight I watched Tony Rome, an enjoyable attempt to update the conventions of 1940s private eye movies and fiction for the 1960s. Tony (Frank Sinatra) is an ex-Miami cop turned PI. One night his ex-partner, now a house detective at a hotel, asks him to take home a drunk guest--Diana Pines (Sue Lyon). But the simple job lands Tony in a complex plot; someone may be after Diana's millionaire father (Simon Oakland) and stepmother (Gena Rowlands)--or rather, after their millions. Meanwhile, Tony has to talk Lt. Santini (Richard Conte) of the homicide squad out of locking him up, and decide what to do about the attentions of Ann Archer (future Bond Girl Jill St. John). The plot is muddled, but Sinatra is a very good lead and the supporting cast are quite solid--besides those mentioned, comedian Shecky Greene has a rare serious role as a gunsel, and boxing great Rocky Graziano has a cameo.
"May the hinges of friendship never rust, nor the wings of love lose a feather"--Scottish blessing
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

The Vow.
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
Kate
Officially Bitten!
Location: Wandering in the town, holding my arm tightly around the hold in my chest…

Post by Kate »

pennybug84 wrote:The Vow.
Do you like it? That movie temtps me but i'm still unsure... Is it the teary kind?

"When Kate met Garrett, she found something she'd never found [...]. She is currently attempting monogamy for the first time in her long life." S. M. The guide p. 157
Jestak
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Jestak »

My movie tonight was Night of the Comet, a low-budget 1980s sci-fi/horror film that's surprisingly good. The scenario is somewhat like Zombieland: when a comet passes close to earth it somehow turns most of the world's population to red dust. Some people suffer a more delayed reaction and temporarily become zombies, while there are a handful of truly unaffected survivors. Among the latter are a pair of teenage sisters, video game buff Regina (Catherine Mary Stewart) and cheerleader Samantha (Kelli Maroney). You wouldn't rate their chances of survival as very good, unless you knew that they're both army brats, who learned how to use automatic weapons at Daddy's knee. But the greatest threat Regina and Sam may face is not the zombies, but the scientists from a think tank, who may want to take their blood. This isn't a flawless film; in place of Zombieland's witty script, you have to listen to a ton of clunky B-movie dialogue. But it's fast-paced, there's a decent amount of humor, and Stewart and Maroney make a pair of likable heroines.
"May the hinges of friendship never rust, nor the wings of love lose a feather"--Scottish blessing
Jestak
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Jestak »

Tonight I watched Deep Cover, a nice contemporary noir from veteran character actor turned director Bill Duke. Russell Stevens (Laurence Fishburne, back when he was still billed as Larry) is a police officer recruited by the DEA. His job is to go into "deep cover," to infiltrate a drug mob and get close enough to bring down the top man, a Colombian named Guzman. To do so he must become a drug dealer himself, make deals, kill rivals--and possibly lose himself in the role he is playing. This one was excellent until the last 10-15 minutes, when Duke, his writers, or someone (I suspect an interfering studio hand) cheat and give us an ending that is upbeat in an unbelievable way. Still worth seeing. Fishburne is excellent, and supported strongly by Jeff Goldblum as the crooked lawyer who is his main associate in the drug world, Charles Martin Smith as his DEA contact, and Kamala Lopez in a very effective bit part as a drug-addicted single mother.
Jestak
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Jestak »

A Fish Called Wanda, which I watched tonight, is a really fun movie. It's a blend of the comic caper films that Ealing Studios used to make (director Charles Crichton helmed The Lavender Hill Mob), and the screwball comedies of the 1930's and 40's. The cast includes some of the premier comic talents of our time, headed by John Cleese (who co-wrote the film) and Kevin Kline, and joined by Jamie Lee Curtis and Michael Palin.
Jestak
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Jestak »

My movie this evening was Mad Dog and Glory. If all you knew about this one was that the "Mad Dog" of the title was a cop played by Robert De Niro, you'd figure that the character was a serious badass. In fact, Wayne (De Niro), although he carries a badge and gun, is strictly a crime scene photographer/analyst, and quite a timid fellow--"Mad Dog" is an ironic nickname. One night he walks into a convenience store hold-up and manages to save the life of Frank Milo (Bill Murray), a local mobster who has ambitions of being, get this, a stand-up comic. In gratitude, Frank sends Wayne a "present," by telling one of his employees, Glory (a young Uma Thurman) to be Wayne's "friend for a week." When Wayne and Glory develop genuine feelings for each other, and he learns that she is deeply in debt to Frank, matters get complicated. I liked this one very well. De Niro and Murray, both playing strongly against type, are quite effective and have an odd chemistry. Thurman, in a more passive role than we often see her in, is very appealing--she and De Niro have some very tender moments together. I also liked David Caruso, as Wayne's police partner.
Jestak
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Jestak »

When director Stanley Donen made Arabesque, he seems to have wanted to repeat his success with Charade. Like the earlier film, Arabesque is a light, enjoyable romantic thriller. David Pollack (Gregory Peck) is an expert in ancient hieroglyphics who is roped into a plot to assassinate a Middle Eastern prime minister. When he tries to find out what oil magnate Beshraavi (Alan Badel) is up to, he may have an ally in the man's mistress, Yasmin Azir (Sophia Loren)--if only he can trust her. While Peck and Loren do not sizzle quite the way Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn did in Donen's previous film, they are pretty good, and there are some well-handled set-pieces to keep viewers entertained.
Jestak
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Jestak »

Go West is another silent feature from Buster Keaton. Keaton plays a lonely young man, aptly named "Friendless," who, as the title implies, heads west by hopping a train. He ends up on a cattle ranch and has several humorous misadventures, culminating in a classic sequence where Keaton leads a herd of cattle through downtown Los Angeles. While this isn't one of Keaton's best films, like virtually all his work it's worth a look.