Rob's Halfway House - #10

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Re: Rob's Halfway House - #10

Post by Tornado »

I've now seen the trailer and taped my reaction, and I will put it up later today. I can't do it until then, because I can only use hubby's work computer to do it, and he's working in the office all day today :( (translate: he doesn't have any shoots) so I won't be able to use it until this evening.

Here's what I thought of the trailer.

Some things I like, but I think, overall, I was a little disappointed with it. I was disappointed that its focus was on all the groups of vampires. I suppose it's to be expected - they are a big feature of the film - but I was hoping it would be more Renesmee focussed. We hardly even saw her. Maybe they're still working on a lot of the CGI that's required for her part. Also, the sight of them all running at each other at the end there has me concerned. Is that seen only in Alice's vision? It looks a bit too 'real time' for that. Does Alice stop them all when she reveals she's come back with Nahuel? I can't imagine vampires like Felix, for example, stopping once the headlong rush has started. There could certainly be elements that mean it doesn't go this way, and I hope that's the case. I don't want a physical battle, or even the suggestion of one, otherwise it will be out of character if people aren't killed, and we know that they don't die, so that would mean the movie has again gone the route of taking the characters and doing whatever the hell they like with them (a la the motorcycle scene).

Also, I wish they didn't have Alice smashing that stupid vase. I know it's a good visual, but it's also as cheesy as hell and was being joked about in comedy shows back in the seventies! I've always hated that part in the book, because it's so stupid to get a character to pick up something breakable just so they can smash it to show that there's something wrong. I always see it coming when it's used, and it makes me cringe every time. If we had always seen Alice arranging flowers, I might have bought it, but we don't, so it's just an overused construction to demonstrate shock.

There were things I liked about it too, like the demonstration of Benjamin's power, which looked impressive, and them showing the Cullens going and recruiting vampires to support them. I liked Jake's line, too. But overall it didn't do much for me.
Tornado

Post by Tornado »

Double post, because I managed to kick my hubby off his computer long enough to do my video! here's the link. The quality's not that great this time. There was too much sun coming in the back window.
missp
Teaching Nessie all she needs to know
Location: Missing my HH SISTERS but loving all the great memories from HH CON 2012!

Post by missp »

Hi siblings! In the airport hotel and about to go to bed as soon as DALLAS goes off. I have a 4 am wake-up call and not long after I'll be seeing my HH SISTERS! Good night for now!

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

Well, siblings, I had to swing in just one more time today. It's a pretty special day, after all. Plus, I don't know if I'll get to post tomorrow before hopping the MegaBus.

Of course, I couldn't forget the traditional HumpDay goodies... Well, whatever other issues I may have with the trailer, Edward in a turtleneck just absolutely does things to me. (Plus, I'm happy to be able to see that Edward did NOT leave his new wife at home and go off galavanting about the continent recruiting vampires :lol: )

To all our siblings who can't be in Chicago~ Please know that we'll be thinking of you often. You'll be with us in spirit.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
Tornado

Post by Tornado »

Yes, I'm guessing by that shot that he and Bella must go to Denali to tell the Denali clan about what's happening.
velvet409
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by velvet409 »

Good morning!

I'm just about to leave for the airport. HHCon here I come! :clap: :yahoo:
Banner by TammyAZ
"Our fingerprints don't fade from the lives we touch."
SwanCullen
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by SwanCullen »

That's a great idea to pair people up that can't go with those that will be in Chi-Town! I hope you ladies have a fantastic day meeting eachother and a fabulous weekend!

:grin: Proud HalfwayHouse Sister :grin:
Seasons Of Love-A Rosalie/ Emmett story
Susie
Frozen in Time

Post by Susie »

Hi All!

I have to teach my class this morning but then I'm headed to the airport directly from school. My suitcase is in the car at this very moment in the school parking lot! Hubs took the bus to work, so I'll just swing by his office and he'll take me to the airport and keep the car. Needless to say, I've only got half a brain for teaching today. Good thing Comparatives and Superlatives are fairly easy and it is a review day.

Grammar Example:

The Lexicon has the best group of Twilight Fans in the world!!
Most of us like Edward better than Jacob.

See half of you in Chicago and the other half online!!!

BBye!
VirginiaMay
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by VirginiaMay »

Susie wrote: Needless to say, I've only got half a brain for teaching today. Good thing Comparatives and Superlatives are fairly easy and it is a review day.

Grammar Example:

The Lexicon has the best group of Twilight Fans in the world!!
Most of us like Edward better than Jacob.
LOVE that Susie managed to squeeze a grammar lesson in with us as well as teaching her class this morning! Made me laugh out loud here in the airport where I'm waiting for Christina's plane to arrive. As soon as it's here we're off to hook up with a few of the other girls! Can't wait!

(PS- Jaclyn, you haven't missed much yet. Chicago Midway airport doesn't even have a Starbucks! *gasps indignantly* ;)

Songbird
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by Songbird »

Ok, so this might be a MEGA mega post since it’s been nearly 2 weeks since I was here last. It looks like we’ll be moving, soon!! Maybe once you all get back from HH con, we should start packing up.

Ginnie, I’m so sorry about your marital problems. That can’t be easy, and especially with children, but I’m glad you were able to work something out so you can at least have a break and go to Chicago. I saw something on MSN about that wedding of the year, but it said they would have some fast food burger restaurant to cater it, etc…a bunch of bunk if you ask me. Oh my, how is your son? I hope he’s ok! That ER doctor sounds like a real…pain. Hope you are feeling better now, too! Oh, I would be so squeeeeing about that school! What does your daughter do? And I hope the interview went well for you!! What is the job? Does the Chicago airport still have the Eli's Cheesecake stand there? MMMM..I love cheesecake. I don't drink coffee, so lack of starbucks wouldn't bother me, but I would be disapointed if there was no cheesecake to be had!

Tracy, I’m glad the baseball tournament went well! I didn’t have a list of lists….HUBS made that as a joke to tease me about all the lists I made.

Lynne, how is the business going now? Is it looking up? Are you feeling better? What’s this about facebook charging for comments??

Caryn, sounds like you had a lovely anniversary!! I hope I get to see SWATH soon.

Brenda, if you find that 25th hour in the day, let me know where you found it. I’m needing to find one, too. Since you mentioned this to Tracy and I happened to catch it in my skimming, the rule for using whom/whomever is to use it when you would use “him” if it were reversed, and use “who” when you would use “he”. So, “I gave it to him” = “to whom it was given” and “He said it” = “whoever said it”.

Susie, will your class-size swell again in the fall? I know…like mother like daughter, I guess. I find it amusing that she likes the vampire, too. I think it has more to do with the pink in her hair than that it’s a vampire, though. That is awful about the air-conditioning. It’s hard to concentrate when you’re too hot or too cold. When I first moved here, we had unusually hot weather in the spring/summer and I was going to language school to learn Dutch and there was no air conditioning in the building. It was in the high 90s every day for several weeks…miserable! And there was a girl from Iraq who was quite pregnant and I think she had misunderstood her doctor because she insisted he told her she was supposed to stay very warm so she wore a long sleeved jacket over her tshirt EVERY day and would just sit there mopping her face with towels…it had to be over 100 degrees in our classroom and she’s wearing layers of clothing. INSANE! I hope they get the problem fixed in your school.

Marielle, I’m glad you are enjoying your trip! What all have you seen?

Sean, I thought you had already been to the doctor? Are there more tests to do or something? So do you actually have a job lined up?

Christina, Bears?? Where is Emmett when you need him? I did have a great time in Paris!

Tonise, glad to hear it’s going well with Detective Scott! You must have been busy between him and HH Con plans! I hope you can fight the “self-sabotage” with him.

Jaclyn, I know video chat for the FREE skype is only between 2. You can do audio with more people, and of course text chat, but as far as I know, if you want to do video between more than 2 people, you have to pay extra. How is your job going? Do you like it?

Suzan, congrats on your HH anniversary! I’m so sorry about all the stress…is your grandmother ok? Why is she in the hospital? And what are your roommates fighting about? I know it can be so frustrating dealing with roommates, and being stuck in the middle of 2 people whose favorite pastime seems to be arguing with each other.

Grayce, are you going mountain biking WITH hubs? I really hate riding my bike….I do it to get to work or to choir or whatever, but I would really rather not do it as a hobby…and mountain biking seems so incredibly taxing! Oh, now I can’t wait to see what is at the end of BD2!!! Do we have a release date yet? I thought we did, but I can't remember it.

Raine, I saw on FB about the new neice….so cute! Congratualtions, auntie! I love how close you are with your family that you spend so much time with your nieces and nephews.

JennJenn, good to see you!...It’s been a while, I guess!! So, I remember you saying you weren’t moving to Cali after all, but I don’t remember what you said you were doing.

Paris was great! We couldn’t have asked for better weather…it only rained on us a couple of times. Once was just at absolutely the worst time as it was coming down in buckets just when we were supposed to meet up with S and D to go to the Louvre. But we just went inside to wait...the line was non-existent because of the rain, but we also had passes that would allow us to bypass the line if there was one. So we were able to send a text to tell them to come inside instead of looking for us by the pyramid. But we had a great time and saw a TON of stuff and it was so good to just be with my best friend, hanging out. We were sitting down for a rest and there was a guy who totally looked like a young Peewee Herman, and he kept looking over at us. My friend’s hubs is kind of a stiff stick in the mud (he works in finance, if you can imagine)….very little sense of humor (so sad since my friend is a total spaz and HILARIOUS) so I nudged him and told him that Peewee thought he was hot. The look on his face was soooooo funny. He was so alarmed until he realized I was teasing him and then he kind of laughed and played along. But the rest of us were just rolling. I guess he told her later that it caught him off guard that I made that joke since my brother is gay. She told him “Yes, but she’s ok with that!” So anyway, we had a great time, laughed a lot, reminisced, ate really well, and cried when we had to say goodbye. There are pictures on my FB if anyone is interested. Most of them are just of sites in Paris, but there are a few of me, hubs, S and D.

Sunday I had a couple of performances for the choir festival here in town. The first block did not go very well. The stage was very small and didn’t allow for our usual choreography, the speakers were turned towards the audience, so we couldn’t hear, which meant the beginning of one song was AWFUL….completely on the wrong pitch, the timing was off….it was soooooo bad. Once we hit the first verse and the music was louder, we did fine, but the beginning was just….a disaster. Then, one of the other pieces, they have 2 versions of the accompaniment…one with a 4 bar intro and one with no intro. They were supposed to get rid of the one without the intro AGES ago and never did…so the person cueing the music got the wrong one and there’s no way to tell because the intro is the same as the beginning…so you don’t know until you’ve already started singing. So we tried starting over, but she cued up the same version and the director was still directing as if it were the one WITH intro…so we got to the part where the music doesn’t match and most of the choir panicked because they didn’t know what to do. None of them have any understanding of sheet music, measures, that kind of thing, so they are completely lost. So I just started singing the part where the accompaniment was and eventually everyone followed and we got back on track, though we lost the first 4 bars at the beginning and the next 4 were a bit muddled until everyone cottoned on to where we were. I was quite glad I told hubs to come to the SECOND block to watch. We learned from the first performance and we turned the speakers toward us before we started, we threw out one number that was not very solid and replaced it with a crowd pleaser from the first block. It was SOOOOO much better. There are links to a few videos on FB.

The kids had their class trip to Het Land van Jan Klaasen today. It’s kind of a giant playground, but there’s a puppet theater, there’s an indoor part with a bouncy castle slide, a little train, etc…they came back smiling but tired. Mr. Man is actually fast asleep on the couch beside me right now…he did well, but finally lost the battle about half an hour ago. Now I just need to keep Bug awake because if SHE falls asleep, she won’t sleep tonight and then she’ll be grouchy in the morning.
We got a letter that says Mr. Man DOES get to move on to group 2 next year, so I’m really happy about that. The cut-off date is officially in October and his birthday is in December, but he must have done well on his testing, which we will see the results of on Monday.

So I guess most of you are probably on your way to Chicago right now, if you’re not already there. I’m so excited for you all, but a bit jealous as well. Thank you so much for setting us all up with a sister to tell us how things are going and what you all are doing. I hope there will be pics as well, and maybe a skype session. Do we need to give our skype names to someone? Have SO much fun and we'll hear all about it when you all get back!
Signature artwork by TammyAZ