Life and Death — so what do you think about the whole idea?

Yes! We've got a teeny tiny forum for discussing Stephenie's (sort of) new book...

Moderator: December

Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Re: Life and Death — so what do you think about the whole id

Post by Tornado »

December, it's interesting you should mention similar circumstances. I'm avoiding it because I'm afraid it will affect my love of Twilight. I avoided reading Twilight originally because I was afraid of it (that was because of the vampires, though!). Maybe I should just give it a go, but enough Twilight fans are dissing it for me to be cautious.
TwilightFan87
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Post by TwilightFan87 »

I feel the same way, Lynne! I'm partially intrigued, partially horrified because I realllllllly want to read MS!

I'll keep my eye on what everyone here thinks before I consider it more.
Tornado

Post by Tornado »

Yes, so far the response seems to be mixed.
December
Muse of Philosophical Discussion

Post by December »

Well I am REALLY hoping that tomorrow I will finally have a free moment to actually, you know, read this book: been absolutely flat out these past few days! I'll report back as soon as I do. I suppose for me — as you know — the spell was broken back in 2008, so I can afford to be intrigued, without having so much to lose if, as Edward would say — and yes, somehow I refuse to imagine Edythe saying it! — this all ends badly.

(*grin*)

Can I just remark totally irrelevantly that I think it's hysterical that the subject line of everyone's post in this thread keeps coming up as:

What Do You Think About the Whole Id.

(Not to mention the Whole Super-Ego and Ego...).
“When did you ever promise to kill yourself falling out of Charlie’s tree?”
Tornado

Post by Tornado »

I look forward to hearing what you think of it. I may yet succumb myself.
Violet Sunlight
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Violet Sunlight »

Hello everyone, :wave:

Nice to be here after so long. Hope everyone is doing well.

My initial reaction to the news of "Life and Death" was mixed like many other fans. On the one hand I was so happy SM was giving us something new from the Twilight universe :yahoo: (I thought it would be a long time before she ever did) but, on the other hand, I was so disappointed she didn't give us the next story or maybe even the next series that would follow Breaking Dawn. :cry: And yes, I was also disappointed she didn't give us Midnight Sun either. :sigh: Although, I had made peace with the idea we might never get Midnight Sun or at the most it would be a decade or two from the leak date before it would ever see the light of day. But then, to my pleasant surprise, :o :swoon: :yahoo: I read she had started working on Midnight Sun again, . . . . . . but it was short lived because of course something had to upset her again and there went another perfect opportunity for her to finish it and possibly publish it, AGAIN. :banghead: :shock: I think she should just keep her distance from the media while she's working on it. Otherwise it's just never going to get done.

As far as the gender swapping goes, it sounds interesting and since I've never had a problem reading Twilight fan fiction before and considering it's from the author of Twilight herself, I bought the book. Though, I don't think the story will accomplish SM's goal of having Bella's character be viewed as a "human in distress" and not a "damsel in distress". I think a better way of accomplishing that goal might have been to keep the Bella and Edward romance but have one or all the Cullen female come to Bella's aid every single time. Try as SM might, a damsel in distress will, 9 times out of 10, be a young girl in some sort of distressful circumstance being rescued by a guy who is romantically interested in her. It's just the way it is. The gender swapping of characters won't solve anything but at least it got SM back in the Twilight universe and for me that was one small step for "Life and Death" and one giant leap for future Twilight stories, particularly Midnight Sun. I mean we were SO CLOSE . . . . . so close. :sigh:
TwilightRose1
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by TwilightRose1 »

If I do read this new book, I will more than likely view it as a type of fan fiction. It will be really hard to reverse the characters in my head, but it seems like an interesting read. I would definitely rather read something closer to midnight sun, but at least she released SOMETHING! We have to be grateful of that anyways. ;)
Tornado

Post by Tornado »

Yes, and by the sounds of it, she's still trying to work on MS, so hopefully we'll get that eventually too! :D