Wild about Harry, the Harry Potter book discussion

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
luv_edward_cullen
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Re: Wild about Harry, the Harry Potter book discussion

Post by luv_edward_cullen »

vampluv78 wrote:The way it was explained to me they changed philosopher to sorceror's was because her publisher thought us americans wouldnt understand the term 'philosopher'.
I actually had no idea why it was sorceror's instead of philosopher's. But i'll listen to you guys :)
dandyvampgirl_13
So Jealous of Emily

Post by dandyvampgirl_13 »

vampluv78 wrote:The way it was explained to me they changed philosopher to sorceror's was because her publisher thought us americans wouldnt understand the term 'philosopher'.
Oh.
So are they calling us stupid?
:roll: Honestly...
I'm kidding, and I can kind of see why. I was six when i read them, and I wouldn't have gotten Philosopher on my own. Sorcerer makes more sense, so the reasoning would be correct.
maggiepants
Wandering Through Town

Post by maggiepants »

From what I understand, its not that they thought Americans were dumb, its that apparently the majority of Americans were put off by philosophy (At least, thats what I remember Dan saying during an interview).

Right before the HBP movie got pushed back, I had decided to do a reread of the series. I had just finished PoA when the movie got delayed and I kinda stopped. But I've picked up GoF again....I can't even begin to explain how much I really love this series. Oddly, the HP series really plays with my emotions...I was reading earlier and it was when they use the portkey with Cedric, and I started crying! I always think of that speech Dumbledore gives at the end, and I can't help but cry.
luv_edward_cullen

maggiepants wrote:Oddly, the HP series really plays with my emotions
Same here. It remains to be the only series that has made me cry. I've just grown so attached to the characters that if anything bad happens to them, I bawl my eyes out.
dimber
Fishing with Charlie

Post by dimber »

I've been "watching" this thread in the Flight to Phoenix menu for weeks now and I finally decided to join in...I'm a huge Harry Potter fan so I guess I can't miss this!!!

I must confess I didn't like the last books but the firt four are absolutely amazing. J K Rowling has such a fascinating imagination...I wish I could have it as well :mrgreen:
...we are such stuff that dreams are made on...

Liv-wa
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Liv-wa »

luv_edward_cullen wrote:
Same here. It remains to be the only series that has made me cry. I've just grown so attached to the characters that if anything bad happens to them, I bawl my eyes out.
me too, the seventh took me down.
Click here to join. We need some more of that pureblood [;Image
luv_edward_cullen

Liv-wa wrote:
luv_edward_cullen wrote:
Deathly Hallows was a total sob-fest for me. Every other page I'd read something and just start crying.
Liv-wa

Post by Liv-wa »

luv_edward_cullen wrote:
Liv-wa wrote:
luv_edward_cullen wrote:
Deathly Hallows was a total sob-fest for me. Every other page I'd read something and just start crying.
I know, it was absolutely ridiculous. I have never had a book do that to me befre. And now, every time I re-read it, it gets worse becasue I know it's coming.
luv_edward_cullen

Liv-wa wrote:
luv_edward_cullen wrote:
Liv-wa wrote:
luv_edward_cullen wrote:
I know, it was absolutely ridiculous. I have never had a book do that to me befre. And now, every time I re-read it, it gets worse becasue I know it's coming.
I can't wait to see what everyone's reactions will be like in the theatre when the movie comes out. All you're gonna hear is like 300 people sobbing together.
Liv-wa

Post by Liv-wa »

luv_edward_cullen wrote:
Liv-wa wrote:
luv_edward_cullen wrote:
Liv-wa wrote:
luv_edward_cullen wrote:
I can't wait to see what everyone's reactions will be like in the theatre when the movie comes out. All you're gonna hear is like 300 people sobbing together.
I know...And the fact that they are making it in two parts hopefully means that it will be done in more detail than the rest. It shall be extremely intersting.