General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Spartan
Hanging Up on Jessica

Re: Pronounciation Key

Post by Spartan »

The only name that I had a problem pronouncing was Aro. I always pronounce it like an arrow, but then I have to remember that it's Italian, so the "a" would be pronounced like the "a" in father.
Isn't that how you pronounce an arrow anyway, with the sound like in father? (Or is this just my British accent?)
I Always pronounced it "Ahh-row" ( like rows of plants) and I don't get the British accent bit 'cause I'm british and I pronounce arrow "Ah-row" where as Aro has a prolonged "Ahh" like "ahhhh that feels nice". If that makes sense : P

The Only name that I ever had trouble pronouncing was Quiluette but I realised I was saying wrong after reading SM's site. My Friend and I always had arguments though over how to pronounce things - she was really embarrassed when she found out that Carlilse wasn't "Carl-see" We also wondered about Emse - was it "Es-may" or "Es-mee" but I notice that whoever put that list near the top thinks that it's both.
* * Sapere Aude * * Jasper is my Edward : D
Spankie
Settled in Forks

Post by Spankie »

I was absoutley mispronouncing Carlise's name almost the entire series. It's wasn't until I was watching a behind the scenes interview with him and he said his own name, that I realized I had been saying it wrong. Whoops :oops:
twilightfann23
Settled in Forks

Post by twilightfann23 »

very helpful, i kinda pronounce quilete as kwill-ett
Aren't we all thankful no one calls him eddy? ;)
EdwardNJessi
Learning to Love Green

Post by EdwardNJessi »

Hey! This site is helpful! :) thanks, guys.
LeechesRule95
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by LeechesRule95 »

For Nahuel I say it like Na-Hoo-Elle :?

When I first started reading the books I used to say Carlisle like Car-Liz-Lay. Then my friend told me how it was supposed to be said Car-Lie-ill and i was like "dammit are you sure??" It was so embarassing...... :roll:

For Siobhan I said it like See-owb-hon and its said Shi-vawn....

How about Cauis how is that pronounced I just say it like ka-yis :)

But youve got to admit some of the names here are seriously hard to pronounce...
oh and i almost forgot
How do you pronounce Emmete i say it like i read it.......
maddy<3twilight
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Post by maddy<3twilight »

For Carlisle I used to say Carla-seal
haha :lol:
and my friend called him carl-is-l
RR! ~ Major Dark! ~ I <3 Peeta! ~ J<3B ~
ashiekins16
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by ashiekins16 »

Wow, haha. I don't feel so stupid. I totally slaughtered a lot of those names.
I mean I knew Carlisle because I've heard it on movies and such before. And there were some of the weird foreign ones for me I could pronounce but most of them I completely screwed up. Sometimes I'd just look at it and go 'oh no way, i cant pronounce that and kind not try. Haha..But I think I pronounced Siobahn like see-oh-bah-n or something, haha
Randomness Regular since #7 E<3B
Team Bill...er, no Eric..no Bill.. :)
Valentina
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Valentina »

tsvety wrote:
Quileute= firstly Qui-loi-te (stupid German XD) and then Qui-le-tte (is that correct actually? :lol: )
I'm not alone! That's how I pronounced Quileute too! I still kind of say it that way in my head but I have to catch myself. My grandma's family is German and I speak German... so its kind of against my nature and everything I've learned about pronunciation to pronounce it quil-ah-yute. But I'm trying, LOL.
Lunna-san
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by Lunna-san »

Latin names like Aro, Carla or Marcus weren't really a problem. I'm Brazilian. We have names like that here. Senna, for example, may be something like "Se-na". It's an Italian surname, not a name. So the pronounciation usually, is simple.

I'm sorry, but Siobhan is beyond anything I've seen before. Even Hermione, that, for some weird reason, I always added an extra "ni". So, I believe Siobhan is one of those words we learn in English School and we never got the right way to speak. So, I'm kind of in peace with that. :D

I just learnt how to pronounce Carlisle after watching an interview with Stephenie. Before, this, I was happily saying "Ker-leyes-le" to anyone who was close to me.
maddy<3twilight
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Post by maddy<3twilight »

My friend says MOST of the names wierd.
She calls Ezme- Ems
Carlisle- Carlis
Rosalie- Rosealia
and she calls Caius CALCULUS :lol: ( I laughed so hard at that)
and she thinks Volvo is a kind of bird. :lol:
RR! ~ Major Dark! ~ I <3 Peeta! ~ J<3B ~