How do you talk?

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Tateyyy92
Buying a Better Raincoat

Re: How do you talk?

Post by Tateyyy92 »

I always wanted to have an accent and was always mad when I heard someone who has one talk cause I was jealous haha. But then I went on a cruise and hung out with people from all over the Us and they were like oo your from CA. haha so I guess I have an accent. =]

Twilight= LIFE
Spartan
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by Spartan »

I suppose to most people on this I would have a very strong accent - British
And not northern - southern so whereas most people would say Dance like "Dah-nce" I would say "Dahhh-nce" ( dah being like dare and Dahhhh being like are. If that makes sense. As a generalization my accent is like one from Harry Potter. Also because I read so much I have a wide vocabulary and I often use big words that my friends don't understand, I suppose that basically I talk like Gile's from Buffy ( but feminine) And talking about Buffy - I hope none of you thought that the actor for Spike was actually English , 'cause I've heard that loads of americans thought he was . But to a british person he is easily american - I didn't know he was supposed to be British until they said it. lol
Last edited by Spartan on Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
* * Sapere Aude * * Jasper is my Edward : D
Mrs.Mylifenow,Cullen
Learning to Love Green
Location: In our cottage with Edward "baking", wile Esme babysits Carlie.

Post by Mrs.Mylifenow,Cullen »

Granuaile wrote:
Mrs.Mylifenow,Cullen wrote:I was born in Guatemala but I came to the US when I was 8. I don't have an accent though, I live in the bay area of California. I sometimes speak Getto when I'm talking to my sisters, brother, and my friends, my parents never really like'd when i did that though. Although I still do but now they can really tell me what to do or how to speak. It's one of the good things about getting older.
Oh. cool, I live near you. Wow, in my community whenever anyone speaks ghetto everyone is like, "Don't act all cool like that!" It's so funny how everyone wants to be that. :lol: I get teased a lot for saying things like admirable and incorrigible. It's not my fault, I just take Steph's reading reccomendations, and I sound like a dweeb!
I know what you mean. I'm the only one of my family who loves to read. So I have learned allot of words and ways to express myself so sometimes I'm prone to use words that they don't use or have heard before, so sometimes I hear excuse me little miss know it all. I like learning new ways to speak and express myself so when I speak Getto they think I finally came to m senses. What can I say knowledge is power.
Banner by "'twahy-lahyt'" aka Shel!
Thanks Shel your amazing!!!
loverboyis
Learning to Love Green
Location: Debating on the Oxford Heels vs. the Laced Booties with Alice

Post by loverboyis »

For the Pop/Soda wording, people around ware I live (Maritimes, Canada) say "Coke" or "Pop" ... mainly coke, now that I think about it; I suppose it would be considered as Pop, but since Coco-Cola is so universal, you just get into say "What kind of Coke you would like?" lol x] I hardly here people saying Soda, we know would know what it mean, but some people might give you a weird look haha.
Cherry-Cherry Boom-Boom - Mosic
heartofmp*
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by heartofmp* »

What I sound like depends on who I'm around...when I'm around my parents or any family-I have a really big southern drawl..I can't help it...I was born in Georgia but I live in Tennessee. If I'm around anyone else though...I'm very neutral on how I talk.
It's coke. No matter what kind, it is coke. Such as "Can I have a coke?" The following question would be "What kind?" Then an acceptable answer would be "Dr. Pepper, Root Beer, Coke, etc."
I agree 100%!!!!!!!! I can't stand the word "pop" when ever anyone says it I just have to say "what,you want to be hit?" *sigh*
And one time I heard someone trying to explain what "over yonder" meant...I know its a southern thing..I don't really use it...but it just amazed me that someone didn't know what it meant!
BlackestBlasphemy
Wandering Through Town

Post by BlackestBlasphemy »

I lived in Michigan for 14 years, and I've lived here in Georgia for 3 years, so I have a really weird accent. Northern+Southern+tiny voice=WEIRD lol. I want a Jersey accent ;)
"...the very blackest kind of blasphemy."

Immy93
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by Immy93 »

I'm not being funny but i need educating here! :lol:
I thoought you had 3 accents in America!

1: The New York one, sounds like Joey off friends
2: The deep south, like off Steel Magnolias
3: Calefornia, very high pitched ad says "like a lot"

I thought everyone else sounded the same! :lol:
What are the differences?!?

Someone please help me! I am very confused!

xxx
ImageEdward Cullen
BearHug?
Settled in Forks

Post by BearHug? »

Hey,

Well, I'm English... and I talk like a total chav most of the time (look it up), 'cause where I'm from that's how everyone speaks, dropping H's and glottal stops all over the place

for instance:

"I don't like water." would translate to : "Ay Don' Laike Wauher." I say dude a lot too but, that's mainly me and my friends being strange...

Posh English accents are amazing ;) I go to the nearest city on my days off and just listen to the guys from the private schools on the train home :oops: . Kinda like Rob's accent i guess.

Oh by the way, the American Guy on holiday had a totally cute accent all surferish.
Spartan
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by Spartan »

Ha! Not too many people talk like proper Chav's where i live - for most it's a kind of cross and people take the mick of chavs ( ie - " wassup blood!" or " I'll F*****g Shank you mate!"). But as i said earlier, I speak kind of Posh. I never use text lingo either ( other than lol & brb ) so whenever I'm on msn i write like I talk and half the people I'm corresponding with are all "What? Speak English please." But yeah - I've never really had an opinion on the American accent, It's just sort of normal because you hear on TV all the time, but then some British person comes on and I think "Wow! Do we really sound that posh compared to yanks?" But yeh.I love the Irish accent but don't get how people find French or Spanish accents sexy.
* * Sapere Aude * * Jasper is my Edward : D
Immy93
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by Immy93 »

I talk in a rather posh Engligh accent too!

I'm an educated young girl but if you're not careful I will go Essex on your backside! :lol:
it's not pretty!

xxx
ImageEdward Cullen