Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
KaseyHeartEdward
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Re: Bella Swan Cullen

Post by KaseyHeartEdward »

Esme Echo and Puesy!

Totally agree on the venting. I mean the only one she could truly vent things about was herself. She is the kind of person who holds a lot of her emotions in. So it makes sense. And plus it is really hard to make relationships with people one: she doesen't relate well. And two she has this BIG secret that isn't her's to share. So when it came to Angela, Bella wished she could be totally open to her but she couldn't.
Love Always ~KaseyHeartEdward

Original Twilighter
fauna.fleura
Settled in Forks

Post by fauna.fleura »

Esme echo wrote:fauna.fleura, you exactly described why I feel Bella fell apart after Edward left! Charlie was sort of right; he told Bella that if there had been more people in her life when Edward left she wouldn't have fallen apart so badly. Even though Bella said, "It would have been exactly like that," I still think if Bella had been more emotionally secure and had more experience in peer relationships when she met Edward, she wouldn't have been quite so dependent on him for all her happiness and self-esteem.

But ... it's kind of a hard for me to comprehend the level of commitment Stephenie described between Edward and Bella. I remember when Edward discussed imprinting with Bella. He said, "It's very nearly as strong as the way I feel about you" (E, p. 418). (I'm going to extend the same level of feeling to Bella) ... if their bond was stronger than imprinting ... (**shakes head**). What would happen to Sam if Emily died; or Quil if Claire got sick and died? Maybe no matter what, Bella would have reacted the same way.
i forgot about that part! yes, it doesn't really seem like edward would take that sort of statement lightly.

and if you're worried about bella's reaction, you should read about edward's in one of the extra scenes stephenie wrote (it's on her website) about what edward was doing and how he felt when he got the call from rosalie.

i recently read that many people consider the twilight series to be a mary sue. i can sort of see it, i guess. perfectly imperfect main character who everyone loves, and her faults are endearing. hm, what do you guys think?
"Go Gators! It's about time somebody scored around here." -Emmett, Breaking Dawn

Team Edward, yo.
Esme echo
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by Esme echo »

I know a lot of people think that, but she never impressed me as a cardboard cut-out. Bella seems very real, very genuine. Flawed, perhaps, but not surface.
"Where there is great love, there are always miracles."
Amivera
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Amivera »

I think, on the Mary-Sue front, it's not really Bella that makes her a Mary-Sue:

-If she were placed back in Phoenix, and if her description of her invisibility was correct, she was not a Mary-Sue when she was there. She was clumsy, awkward, ugly, pale, insecure, and had no friends.
However:

-Once she came to Forks and the other characters treated her like she was a freaking goddess, she became a bit of a Mary-Sue, yes. Her clumsiness and tomato-red face were endearing. Her sarcasm, plastered on scowl, and dislike of everything were adorable. Even though she was supposedly unattractive or plain, FIVE boys trailed after her like lost puppies.

So, I don't think it had to do with the character, per say, but if you're making an argument for Mary-Sue, I think it would be more the environment that turned her into one.

Off-topic: Has anyone read "My Immortal"? I think my brain melted whilst reading it, but it was so hilariously unbelievable!
Blackwater. <3

potterpuff @ lj
EdwardNJessi
Learning to Love Green

Post by EdwardNJessi »

Before I state my opinion of Bella, I want to make it clear that I have only read through the four books once. I just started to re-read Twilight the other night. So, this is coming from someone who has just been introduced to her. Even from starting to read Twilight for a second time, I am starting to see different aspects of her personality that I've never seen before. I have a feeling the second, third, fourth, etc. times will be even better!!!

Anyhoo...at the beginning of the series, I felt a little sorry for Bella. I thought she was smart and witty and funny, but I just wished that she had a little more self esteem. When Edward comes into the picture, her persona starts to change. She becomes stronger, happier, and just comes to life. This just makes New Moon more effective...when Edward leaves and Bella goes into her depression, you can really understand the dark places she must have gone to. Edward had changed her into the person she'd always wanted to be and, when he left, she lost who she was.

Bella really started to come to life at the end of New Moon when she goes to Italy to rescue Edward from the Volturi. Before this, she seemed really passive to me. I loved seeing her fight. I loved feeling her passion once more...I had been missing all of that since Twilight.

In Eclipse, she matured and started to realize her strengths...even as a human.....and in Breaking Dawn, she stepped forward to become a leader. She saved the whole coven! Unbelievable!!! I compare the Bella in the first two chapters of Twilight and the Bella at the end of Breaking Dawn and I become almost emotional. She had grown so much in the saga...it's an amazing transformation!!!

Yay Bella!

P.S. I've always loved her name "Bella Swan"...Beautiful Swan. She is definitely Edward's swan.
Esme echo
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by Esme echo »

Lovely analysis, EdwardNJessi!

Amivera, I think a lot of the reason the boys were interested in Bella was that she was not the least threatening ... nor was she weird, scary, or embarassing. Their self-confidence would not take a hit by associating with someone as nice and friendly as Bella. (Her initial mental snottiness about the Forks HS students were a reflection of her shyness, lack of social experience, and history of zero peer relationships. By the second week she was friendly to everyone [see T pp. 38-39].) Self-esteem in high school can be an oxymoron; as far as the guys were concerned, Bella was safe, not bad looking, and wouldn't shoot them down cruely if she wasn't interested. That's heady stuff for the male ego! :lol:

I would appreciate a definition of "Mary-Sue." I have a general idea of what it means, but I think I may be missing some pieces. :?:
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

Esme echo wrote:I know a lot of people think that, but she never impressed me as a cardboard cut-out. Bella seems very real, very genuine. Flawed, perhaps, but not surface.
much as i dislike bella sometimes, i agree here. she's always very genuine.

i don't think bella is a mary-sue, because she is so OBVIOUSLY not perfect. she's not written to be that way. but i do think that everyone else in the books has a very glowing image of her, so i can see how it would come off that way.

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
navarre
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Post by navarre »

EdwardNJessi wrote:Before I state my opinion of Bella, I want to make it clear that I have only read through the four books once. I just started to re-read Twilight the other night. So, this is coming from someone who has just been introduced to her. Even from starting to read Twilight for a second time, I am starting to see different aspects of her personality that I've never seen before. I have a feeling the second, third, fourth, etc. times will be even better!!!

Anyhoo...at the beginning of the series, I felt a little sorry for Bella. I thought she was smart and witty and funny, but I just wished that she had a little more self esteem. When Edward comes into the picture, her persona starts to change. She becomes stronger, happier, and just comes to life. This just makes New Moon more effective...when Edward leaves and Bella goes into her depression, you can really understand the dark places she must have gone to. Edward had changed her into the person she'd always wanted to be and, when he left, she lost who she was.

Bella really started to come to life at the end of New Moon when she goes to Italy to rescue Edward from the Volturi. Before this, she seemed really passive to me. I loved seeing her fight. I loved feeling her passion once more...I had been missing all of that since Twilight.

In Eclipse, she matured and started to realize her strengths...even as a human.....and in Breaking Dawn, she stepped forward to become a leader. She saved the whole coven! Unbelievable!!! I compare the Bella in the first two chapters of Twilight and the Bella at the end of Breaking Dawn and I become almost emotional. She had grown so much in the saga...it's an amazing transformation!!!

Yay Bella!

P.S. I've always loved her name "Bella Swan"...Beautiful Swan. She is definitely Edward's swan.
What a wonderful post!! I'm re-reading New Moon and to read Bella's thoughts on "Afraid to remember-forbidden to forget, it's a hard line to walk" and yet she continues to grow in strength and determination(yes, she is struggling to hold it together) I have found a new perspective and beauty in this book that I never thought I would see. Go figure. I look forward to finding new little nuggets as I continue through this saga(again) :D
Paranormal/Romance/Adventure Addict
Amethyst1
Completely Dazzled!

Post by Amethyst1 »

One thing that irritates me now when i think about and find interesting as well. Is, Kate needed a century to stregthen her power and have it capable of being all over her body. but it took bella less than a month to get to where she is -- this is when bella seems very perfect. her ability to master something very very quickly that is supposed to be very very complex.
Esme echo
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by Esme echo »

Thought-provoking question, malaz! I wish I was going to be around to see all the responses, but I'll be gone for a couple of days.

Maybe the answer is because Bella had help--from Kate and the rest? A little guidance and direction? Kate might not have known it was even possible to improve her talent, and gradually came to understand it. Perhaps Bella's talent is more prominent than Kate's?