Gen Y---the twenty somethings thread

vampire_elf
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Re: Gen Y---the twenty somethings thread

Post by vampire_elf »

I also always pictured Bella and Edward as older...maybe because I didn't want to feel so icky day dreaming abotu a 17 year old. (I cannot tell you how happy I am that Robert is not underage...makes it feel ok for me!)
The part about being happy that Rob's not under age (well, the whole paragraph) - I had to laugh so hard! :lol: But I have to admit I'm glad too. A 17 or 18 year old wouldn't have appealed to me.

Books turned into movies are a critical thing. It doesn't always work out well. While I love Lord of the Rings and I am pretty happy with the Harry Potter movies, there are others that were just bad. Like Message in a Bottle. Has anyone read the book? Back then I loved it and cried a lot but the movie was so boring that I considered leaving the cinema - they simply ruined a beautiful and tragic love story completely. But I'm not that anxious about Twilight. Of course they have changed thins and of course there will be things I won't like, but I think as long as they capture the magic of their love I'l be fairly happy.

Getting married young: I've got the impression (and please, please, please correct me if I'm wrong) that in the US it is not that unusual to marry before the age of 25 . Where I'm from that's rather unsual (at least among the kind people I know), so that's why 18 seems so young to me.

Banner by the amazing MRK!
Obsessed 20 something Twilighter
vampbaseballgrl4
Settled in Forks

Post by vampbaseballgrl4 »

Jamie wrote:
In regards to the movie - I am honestly worried about the first one and hadn't even thought of how NM will be. I have a very vivid imagination and basically made a "movie" in my mind while reading the books. I am going to have to try my best to not be critical of the movie. There has just been so many movies made over the years that originated from books and were awful. Many times not doing the book justice at all...I really hope this isn't the case with Twilight.
hey I'm relativly new to the boards:)

I totally agree with this! I have very specific pictures in my head about the people and places in TW, and movies are very hard to compare to their repective books. the harry potter ones were a COMPLETE letdown for me... as was the new traveling pants movie(hmmm lets try to cram 3 books into one movie... great idea). what I'm worried most about is the fact that I read a synopsis of the movie somewhere that said something about how the cullens had to keep bella safe from their arch-enemies (James, et al.) I was like they didn't even KNOW james before the baseball night!!!
I'm totally moving to Forks and asking the Cullens which room is mine? Edward has the cottage now... his sounds good.
awesomejen1
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by awesomejen1 »

vampire_elf wrote:
Getting married young: I've got the impression (and please, please, please correct me if I'm wrong) that in the US it is not that unusual to marry before the age of 25 . Where I'm from that's rather unsual (at least among the kind people I know), so that's why 18 seems so young to me.
It's not common in all of the states. I was living in Washington DC when I got engaged and everyone there thought I was crazy! Most people they knew waited til their 30's.
In Utah, I always was asked why we waited so long...we dated for 3.5 years! I don't think that is too long, it was just right for us.
http://www.fanfiction.net/~awesomejen
Cool graphic stuff from MRK! Thanks!
MRK
Fishing with Charlie

Post by MRK »

ok this may be choppy 'cause I'm watching 'Grey's' but I also pictured them all older....I was also very, very worried about the movie...but after the 3rd trailer I have hope, I know it'll be very different...but like you all said...as long as the magical love aspect is there...then I'm down!
I've known my husband since we were 13...we dated since we were 15 and got married at 22.
I am a VERY old soul...so i totally got marrying young. If my husband didnt want to get a real job and apartment first i would have gotten married the day after graduation...and since edward has bunches of $$$...(and has lived forever) i get it!
awesomejen1
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by awesomejen1 »

MRK wrote:ok this may be choppy 'cause I'm watching 'Grey's' but I also pictured them all older....I was also very, very worried about the movie...but after the 3rd trailer I have hope, I know it'll be very different...but like you all said...as long as the magical love aspect is there...then I'm down!
I've known my husband since we were 13...we dated since we were 15 and got married at 22.
I am a VERY old soul...so i totally got marrying young. If my husband didnt want to get a real job and apartment first i would have gotten married the day after graduation...and since edward has bunches of $$$...(and has lived forever) i get it!
I just gotta say that I :heart: your siggy...too cute!
MRK
Fishing with Charlie

Post by MRK »

awesomejen1 wrote:
MRK wrote:ok this may be choppy 'cause I'm watching 'Grey's' but I also pictured them all older....I was also very, very worried about the movie...but after the 3rd trailer I have hope, I know it'll be very different...but like you all said...as long as the magical love aspect is there...then I'm down!
I just gotta say that I :heart: your siggy...too cute!
lol thanks!
ok all you grey's fans can i just say....awwww...kerev! I knew you'd come through!
lag28wa
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by lag28wa »

Yeah! It was a good episode! My favorite part was "They really love lotion..." Haha!
It is not length of life, but depth of life---Ralph Waldo Emerson
Banner by emaleth @ Vesparium
MRK
Fishing with Charlie

Post by MRK »

lag28wa wrote:Yeah! It was a good episode! My favorite part was "They really love lotion..." Haha!
I was shocked she was so into it...Derm, I mean...Christina doesn't usually let her bulldog instincts dissolve like that....I was thinking, "What in the world...?" But it was really cute and funny...poor them, sometimes it's so hard to be cut-throat!
awesomejen1
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by awesomejen1 »

MRK wrote:
lag28wa wrote:Yeah! It was a good episode! My favorite part was "They really love lotion..." Haha!
I was shocked she was so into it...Derm, I mean...Christina doesn't usually let her bulldog instincts dissolve like that....I was thinking, "What in the world...?" But it was really cute and funny...poor them, sometimes it's so hard to be cut-throat!
What an awesome episode! Alex has been pissing me off, so it was good to see him come around...a little at least. And I loved the derm clinic! And George! Yeah! And that little kid who saw the dude's face off, that was really cute. I think this season is going to be awesome!
kkswmmr114
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by kkswmmr114 »

I just watched Grey's!! Yay for DVR!! It was a good episode, the kid was hilarious. I loved his reaction to the guy with his face off, Lol
Boy- "I want to go back to the other one."
George- "Forget about the other one."
Boy- "But this is boring."

Lol...

I think it really depends on where you live on if it is common to get married young. I know in small towns it is common to get married right after high school or a few years later. I have known quite a few people since I graduated high school 3 1/2 years ago that have gotten married. I guess most of them were in their early 20's. But then again isn't it common in larger cities to get married later?? That is what I understand at least. I am only 21 and EVERYONE is asking when my boyfriend and I are getting married... we have been together 3 years. But I'm not in a hurry. I imagine we will in 1-2 years. So we will still be pretty young, but I think 18 is WAY too young!! I think I saw somewhere that Stephenie said she wasn't condoning getting married right out of high school, but under the circumstances it seemed right for Bella and Edward. Considering they both are "old souls" they aren't your typical 17/18 year olds.

Proud Randomnesser since Numero 3!! :)
E<3B
Private Jezebell Blacke of Jasper's Confederate Army