How do you talk?

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Valentina
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: How do you talk?

Post by Valentina »

Spartan - And some people I know thought that Juliet Landau (Drusilla) is British too... seriously, I sound more English than her. But it doesn't really matter if the actors are British or not... it is just a TV show, and its just something they're acting... like even though Dru sounds like an American badly pretending to be British, I just go with it. If I can suspend my disbelief for the rest of the show, I can pretend that Dru has a better accent. XP

As for soda/pop... here if you ask for a Coke you will get either one of two answers. "Okay," and the server brings you a Coca-Cola, or "We don't have Coke, we have Pepsi, is that alright?" (To which the answer for me is "Never. I'll have a 7-Up" because I don't like Pepsi). If you ask for a pop, the server tells you what they have and asks which you'd like. If you ask for a soda, the server assumes you're American and uses little words. Also we have the term 'soft drink,' too, which is more inclusive... Pop refers to like the sugary drinks like Coke, Root Beer... but a soft drink is anything carbonated that doesn't have alcohol in it. So like carbonated juices and stuff as well as the sugary, rot your stomach type drinks... they're all soft drinks.
kkswmmr114
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by kkswmmr114 »

Immy93 wrote:I'm not being funny but i need educating here! :lol:
I thoought you had 3 accents in America!

1: The New York one, sounds like Joey off friends
2: The deep south, like off Steel Magnolias
3: Calefornia, very high pitched ad says "like a lot"

I thought everyone else sounded the same! :lol:
What are the differences?!?

Someone please help me! I am very confused!

xxx
From what I understand from this thread there are many many many different accents in the UK depending on where you live, sometimes there being a mixture of the different ones, again depending on where you live. The same goes for the US. There are ALOT more than three accents!! If fact, for just about every state, and every city there is a different accent.

Us Texans are kinda different though I guess... We say things like "over yonder," "fixin ta," "howdy," and "ya'll come back now, ya hear?" But "howdy" is not how it is said in movies and such, it is more like "hidy." And y is very short. It is also very typical to see people in cowboy hats and boots, and just yesterday I honestly got stuck in traffic in the middle of the city behind a tractor. We are more of a rural city though, does that make sense?? Also, a few years ago I was visiting my family in California and my two cousins (both younger) were following me EVERYWHERE! And I made the comment "I swear, every time I go up the stairs it sounds like a herd o' cattle!" Totally without thinking!! And it sounded very hick indeed... Also, when I was there everyone knew I was from Texas as soon as I opened my mouth.

Proud Randomnesser since Numero 3!! :)
E<3B
Private Jezebell Blacke of Jasper's Confederate Army
Immy93
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by Immy93 »

Thanks! :D
I still can't imagine any more though! :lol:

Some of the accents here in the UK are awful!
Have you heard the South-Walien accent?
If not pray you never do! The West counrty is annoying too!

Thanks again!
xxx
ImageEdward Cullen
Layla_Hale
Touched By Cold Hands
Location: Near Forks.....the ones in my kitchen drawer (not too far from Spoons, either)

Post by Layla_Hale »

oh, I LOVE british accents! My favorite is the Liverpool accent (I don’t know if there’s a certain name for that one…) and in the south (of America) the accents are different. A friend of mine went to florida and as soon as she opened her mouth people were like, “oh you’re from Tennessee, aren’t you?” I also have a friend from Arkansas, and you can tell how she talks differently that everyone else. (when she says things with an I or an A in them she says it kinda of like "ahhh", if that make any sense... like night is n-ah-gt)

General Major of Jasper's Confederate Army
Smooth Alesio Tagliano~Mafia
Twi-Twin Ayan
Randie from #2
The Epic Battle of Spring '09-Air Raid Instigator
Volturi: Sophia
Immy93

Post by Immy93 »

I live about 30 miles away form Liverpool and the english accent around ehre does ahve the scouser twang to it!
It's not that bad!
If you like the scouse accent youll love the geordie one! :lol:
Am-azing!

XXX
ImageEdward Cullen
Layla_Hale
Touched By Cold Hands
Location: Near Forks.....the ones in my kitchen drawer (not too far from Spoons, either)

Post by Layla_Hale »

ooh, whats the geordie one? ive never heard of that before. and scouser was the word i was trying to think of! that means the liverpool-area accents, right? (one day im planning on going to liverpool and just walk around and listen to everybody talk! lol :lol: )

Twi-Twin Ayan
Randie from #2
Immy93

Post by Immy93 »

Geordie is the accent form Newcastle!
Have you ehard of Cheryl COle?
Sh was in Wil.I.Am's new video for Heartbraker?
It's her accent!
it's amazing! :lol:

Just type "Geordie accent" into youtube and it'll come up!

xxx
ImageEdward Cullen
Layla_Hale
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by Layla_Hale »

i did, and i watched one called "Lee Mack (geordie accent)" and it does sound like the liverpool accent. the guy was talkin really fast though, but i think that was part of the act. is that your accent? and ive heard of cheryl cole but im not really sure who she is...

Twi-Twin Ayan
Randie from #2
Immy93

Post by Immy93 »

No! :lol:
I have quite a posh English accent really!
e.g I say Dar-nce instead of Da-nce

I am from Essex so when I get annoyed my old accent comes out!
The Essex accent sounds like the London cockney one but slightly more high pitched and annoying!
Victoria Beckham has an Essex accent, you coudl youtube ehr if you like! :lol:

xxx
ImageEdward Cullen
Vampire.Bunny
Lusting for Blood

Post by Vampire.Bunny »

i have a boring australian accent

love british accents though...
ImageImage