General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
SuchATwilighter
Settled in Forks

Re: Pronounciation Key

Post by SuchATwilighter »

I didn't have any problems with most of the words/names.
I knew Carlisle and Rosalie and I only got Sibohan right because it's my friend's mum's name.
My friend pronounces Rosalie as Roz-a-lee
I say Esme like Es-mee but Renesmee like Bella says in Breaking Dawn (Ruh-nez-may) I know the end of Renesmee should be the same as Esme but I just pronounce them differently!
At fist I pronounced Quileute like Quil-ette but then I saw on Stephenie's Website that it was Quil-yoot but I had to conciously say that in my head for a while.
I know someone called Jacob (but pronounces Yak-ob) so at the begining it was hard to pronounce that right for me
I've always pronounced Aro like Arrow - I'm english and I don't pronounce the a like the a in father...
I pronounce Nahuel like Na-u-ell and Kachiri like Ka-chi-ri
I don't know how to pronounce Huilen but in my head it's like Hu-e-len - I know it's totally wrong but oh well...

soozabooza54 wrote:Nope, we don't have Alistairs here. Or it's not as common here as it is in the UK. Like Hermione. :)
I live in the UK and I did know Alistair but I just wanted to point out that I have never met nor heard of anyone called Hermione (apart from in Harry Potter of course lol)... It's not common at all, it's a really unusual name!
rapidheartbeat<3twi
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by rapidheartbeat<3twi »

Okay, am I the only idiot who pronounced Carlisle -Car-lee-sull- for four books?!?!? It has been a hard habit to break, let me tell ya! I still say Quileutes -Quil-ites-. I think that I have been pronouncing all of the Volturi's names wrong, except perhaps Jane, I hope. Which brings up my other question, is it Vul-tur-ee, or Vul-chur-ee?
"If you're going to have a lapse in control, I can think of a better place for it."-Bella-Eclipse
slayerchick303
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by slayerchick303 »

rapidheartbeat<3twi wrote:Okay, am I the only idiot who pronounced Carlisle -Car-lee-sull- for four books?!?!? It has been a hard habit to break, let me tell ya! I still say Quileutes -Quil-ites-. I think that I have been pronouncing all of the Volturi's names wrong, except perhaps Jane, I hope. Which brings up my other question, is it Vul-tur-ee, or Vul-chur-ee?
Yeah, I mispronounced Carlisle as Carli-seal the entire series and I am having a hard time breaking the habit as well. I did pronounce Quileutes correctly though. Some of the Volturi's names are slightly difficult to pronounce, but I speak a bit of Italian so I was able to discern the pronunciation of the names relatively well. Volturi is pronounced Vul-tour-ee. That is how Stephenie Meyer has pronounced it in all the interviews I've seen. I hope that helped! :D
MANDI
Team Edward Forever!
ImageImage
E<3B
rapidheartbeat<3twi
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by rapidheartbeat<3twi »

Thank you very much. You made me feel not so dumb after all. I could not believe I had done that when I finally heard someone pronounce Carlisle. Oh well. Thanks for the Volturi pron. key.
"If you're going to have a lapse in control, I can think of a better place for it."-Bella-Eclipse
slayerchick303

Post by slayerchick303 »

rapidheartbeat<3twi wrote:Thank you very much. You made me feel not so dumb after all. I could not believe I had done that when I finally heard someone pronounce Carlisle. Oh well. Thanks for the Volturi pron. key.
You're welcome. You are definitely not the first person to mispronounce his name. I didn't know it was pronounced Car-lyle until I saw Stephenie Meyer's interview for Borders Book Club. Even then, I hadn't started the series yet and upon starting to read I had forgotten how to pronounce his name. Then, I saw a behind-the-scenes interview with the cast of Twilight the Movie where they pronounced his name Car-lyle and I remembered I had known the true pronunciation all along. I felt like smacking myself up-side the head!
MANDI
Team Edward Forever!
ImageImage
E<3B
aprilshowers
Settled in Forks

Post by aprilshowers »

Am I the only one who pronounced Laurent like Law-rawn? I mean It's french name so I figured you would pronounce it the french way without the T. Maybe it's just me. lol. Most people will pronounce it lah-rent though.I just assumed as you pronounce laurent that way when you would talk about yves saint laurent.Guess will just have to wait until the movie. I will agree Lah-rent or lo-rahnt sounds better but I always thought it was Law-rawn.
Last edited by aprilshowers on Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
soozabooza54
Frozen in Time

Post by soozabooza54 »

I swear, watching Steph interviews is the best way ever to learn how she actually pronounces things. Thanks youtube! :)
E<3B
My pop culture blog - check it out! - http://asyetuntitled1.blogspot.com/
slayerchick303

Post by slayerchick303 »

aprilshowers wrote:Am I the only one who pronounced Laurent like Law-rawn? I mean It's french name so I figured you would pronounce it the french way without the T. Maybe it's just me. lol. Most people will pronounce it lah-rent though.I just assumed as you pronounce laurent that way when you would talk about yves saint laurent.Guess will just have to wait until the movie. I will agree Lah-rent or lo-rahnt sounds better but I always thought it was Law-rawn.
It is pronounced Law-rahnt. Stephenie Meyer pronounced it that way when she gave an interview for Border's Book Club. Don't worry, I'm sure another person around here pronounced it the same way you did!
MANDI
Team Edward Forever!
ImageImage
E<3B
soozabooza54
Frozen in Time

Post by soozabooza54 »

I think it's really funny that Stephenie used so many E names for her vamps... Edward, Esme, Emmett... Also, I really like that Edward is always by his full name, never just Ed.
E<3B
My pop culture blog - check it out! - http://asyetuntitled1.blogspot.com/
anilu
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by anilu »

rapidheartbeat<3twi wrote:Okay, am I the only idiot who pronounced Carlisle -Car-lee-sull- for four books?!?!?
No you're not! xD
All Twilight and New Moon I really had no idea of how to pronounce it so I used "Car-lee-sull" hahahaha :lol: . And then one day I was watching some interviews and Stephenie pronounce it the right way.. I felt so stupid :lol: :lol: It was still a bad habit to break though, I really made quite an effort to say it right xD