Twilight Guys

Locked
Adam
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:23 pm
Location: Arizona

Re: Twilight Guys

Post by Adam » Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:37 pm

Amivera wrote:
Adam wrote:What gives? A woman not being interested in Twilight!? The mere concept threatens my grip on reality.
Good luck, anyway.
I'm offended... and tempted to say:

"What gives? A self-respecting male being interested in Twilight!? The mere concept threatens my grip on reality."
But I shan't, because that would be rude. My friend Adam likes Twilight, but he only read it because I was obsessed with it for two years. By the time he got around to it, though, I'd gotten over my sugar-rush and realized it was a total crash-and-burn-fail.
Whoa, hold on there, I was only being facetious. I apologize if what I said offended you or anyone else. I really did not intend it to be taken seriously. Besides, the statement of mine that you have quoted was in reference to my mother. It would be a stretch of the imagination for someone to believe I was actually insulting her. Therefore, for you to feel offended by it is confusing.
p.s. When you say it would be rude to say something, and then you say it anyway...it's rude.
Last edited by Adam on Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image

Shakespeare
Wandering Through Town
Posts: 41
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:27 pm

Re: Twilight Guys

Post by Shakespeare » Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:27 pm

Adam,
Your comment was obviously meant as a joke, so I'm not offended. And I can understand why you think all women are obsessed with Twilight. I certainly feel that way often. However, not all girls like the over-the-top romance, among other things. In fact, most of the antis are actually female. But your statement was just an exaggeration, so moving on...

To any Twilightguy,
Just as a personal opinion from my observations, I find that the major appeal of the Twilight books is the reader's ability to easily slip in and out of Bella's character. She is fairly nondescript, so women can easily pretend that they are her when the read the book. This probably doesn't work too well for guys.
So, do you disagree that this is the major appeal? Does this style of writing make it more difficult for you to enjoy the books? Or did you just not notice this when you read? Most of the Twilight book consists of Bella lusting endlessly over Edward. Does that bother or annoy you in any way?
I'm actually an anti. I don't like the Twilight series at all.

I'm here because I enjoy discussing literature and I think it's often much more interesting to talk to people who disagree with you.

And yes, I have read the books. ;)

Adam
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:23 pm
Location: Arizona

Re: Twilight Guys

Post by Adam » Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:45 pm

^Indeed. Do you find that even most of the anti's have read the books as you have, before they make their judgements? I guess I should just be less stunned when a lady is not interested in, or (in your case) dislikes the story.

Good question. Slipping in and out of Bella's character was obviously not an option for me. But since I identified with Edward, I was actually flattered in an odd vicarious way that she felt the way she did about him.
Image

Shakespeare
Wandering Through Town
Posts: 41
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:27 pm

Re: Twilight Guys

Post by Shakespeare » Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:00 pm

Adam wrote:^Indeed. Do you find that even most of the anti's have read the books as you have, before they make their judgements? I guess I should just be less stunned when a lady is not interested in, or (in your case) dislikes the story.

Good question. Slipping in and out of Bella's character was obviously not an option for me. But since I identified with Edward, I was actually flattered in an odd vicarious way that she felt the way she did about him.
Most of the antis that I've talked to have at least tried to read the series, but it's hard to say how many actually got through all of the books. Some, like myself, read them so that they could debate and discuss them. Some are even ex-fans. There are of course those who don't even bother to attempt to read them, but I find that they are usually in the minority.
I'm actually an anti. I don't like the Twilight series at all.

I'm here because I enjoy discussing literature and I think it's often much more interesting to talk to people who disagree with you.

And yes, I have read the books. ;)

Tamalyn
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
Posts: 138
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:58 am
Location: Idaho. So Glam.
Contact:

Re: Twilight Guys

Post by Tamalyn » Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:22 pm

Shakespeare wrote: To any Twilightguy,
Just as a personal opinion from my observations, I find that the major appeal of the Twilight books is the reader's ability to easily slip in and out of Bella's character. She is fairly nondescript, so women can easily pretend that they are her when the read the book. This probably doesn't work too well for guys.
So, do you disagree that this is the major appeal? Does this style of writing make it more difficult for you to enjoy the books? Or did you just not notice this when you read? Most of the Twilight book consists of Bella lusting endlessly over Edward. Does that bother or annoy you in any way?
Very good questions. Most of them have already been addressed in the thread on previous pages, but I am always fascinated by the male prerogative. Also, thank you for being polite. (Since inflections of exaggeration and sarcasm can sometimes become ambiguous on online forums, I'll clarify: I mean that sincerely.) I appreciate healthy debate like anyone else, but in all the post BD flameage, it was nearly impossible to have a healthy debate with anyone, because feelings were so charged and that led to attacks on both sides of the divide. It adds a little spice to the discussions to have you here. You have definately chosen a place rich in admiration for the series, it's author, and it's characters to voice your opinions (myself being one of the die-hard fans of the items listed.) Welcome... you're brave!

slayerchick303
Banging Out Dents with Tyler
Posts: 360
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:45 am
Location: Kissing Edward in a meadow
Contact:

Re: Twilight Guys

Post by slayerchick303 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:42 am

Tamalyn wrote:Your brother being enlisted in the Navy, and your quest to have him read the books, made me think of one of our very own Twilightguys, Dan! Here's the link to his greeting thread:

http://www.twilightlexiconforum.com/vie ... d&start=20

I love his descriptions of what it looked like when he got everyone else to read them, too. Enjoy! Also, maybe you could ask him for tips as well.
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR SENDING ME THIS! I'm excited to talk to Dan. I am going to contact him and see if he can give me so "military-specific" tips on how to convince my brother. Thanks a lot!
MANDI
Team Edward Forever!
ImageImage
E<3B

Tamalyn
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
Posts: 138
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:58 am
Location: Idaho. So Glam.
Contact:

Re: Twilight Guys

Post by Tamalyn » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:14 am

slayerchick303 wrote:
Tamalyn wrote:Your brother being enlisted in the Navy, and your quest to have him read the books, made me think of one of our very own Twilightguys, Dan! Here's the link to his greeting thread:

http://www.twilightlexiconforum.com/vie ... d&start=20

I love his descriptions of what it looked like when he got everyone else to read them, too. Enjoy! Also, maybe you could ask him for tips as well.
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR SENDING ME THIS! I'm excited to talk to Dan. I am going to contact him and see if he can give me so "military-specific" tips on how to convince my brother. Thanks a lot!
No Problem!

I was going to PM you and ask this, but I thought that other people may want to know the answer as well: Any updates on Navy Brother and the series? I'm interested to see how it goes!

slayerchick303
Banging Out Dents with Tyler
Posts: 360
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:45 am
Location: Kissing Edward in a meadow
Contact:

Re: Twilight Guys

Post by slayerchick303 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:21 pm

Tamalyn wrote: No Problem!

I was going to PM you and ask this, but I thought that other people may want to know the answer as well: Any updates on Navy Brother and the series? I'm interested to see how it goes!
I'm trying to convince him, and so far he's open to the idea, but he isn't a big "reader" so he's still hesitant. I was thinking maybe I might get him the audio CD's for the holidays. I was thinking the same thing about my mother. I convinced my mother (who is 52 years old) to see the movie (with very little effort I might add) and I was thinking if she enjoyed the movie I would get her the CD's.

I am feeling the same way about my little brother, but he doesn't get shore-leave until January of next year and I'm afraid the film may be out of theatres at that point. It may be having the rare showing at a theatre that shows movies that have been out for a while, but it's doubtful. Plus, at that point I will be starting another semester and will have to be in class, so I'm not sure how much time I'll have. If I were to buy him the audio CD's, I would definitely only buy him the first book because if he never listens to them (or he hates the book) then I don't want to waste money. I'm hoping he won't feel that way, but you never know. Do you think it is wise to buy him the audio CD's when he hasn't "committed" to reading the series and he hasn't seen the movie?
MANDI
Team Edward Forever!
ImageImage
E<3B

ana;
Hanging Up on Jessica
Posts: 681
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:38 am
Location: somewhere sunny.

Re: Twilight Guys

Post by ana; » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:05 pm

Shakespeare wrote:Adam,
Your comment was obviously meant as a joke, so I'm not offended. And I can understand why you think all women are obsessed with Twilight. I certainly feel that way often. However, not all girls like the over-the-top romance, among other things. In fact, most of the antis are actually female. But your statement was just an exaggeration, so moving on...

To any Twilightguy,
Just as a personal opinion from my observations, I find that the major appeal of the Twilight books is the reader's ability to easily slip in and out of Bella's character. She is fairly nondescript, so women can easily pretend that they are her when the read the book. This probably doesn't work too well for guys.
So, do you disagree that this is the major appeal? Does this style of writing make it more difficult for you to enjoy the books? Or did you just not notice this when you read? Most of the Twilight book consists of Bella lusting endlessly over Edward. Does that bother or annoy you in any way?
Shakespeare, I have a question for you.

I read that you are anti-Twilight, and I want to know what exactly you didn't liked about it?
Because in the first three books I was completely taken away by the story, the love between Edward & Bella, and didn't pay much attention to the writing, I just noticed it wasn't that good.

And I really disliked Breaking Dawn, I think it was terrible in so many ways.

Shakespeare
Wandering Through Town
Posts: 41
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:27 pm

Re: Twilight Guys

Post by Shakespeare » Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:07 am

ana; wrote: Shakespeare, I have a question for you.

I read that you are anti-Twilight, and I want to know what exactly you didn't liked about it?
Because in the first three books I was completely taken away by the story, the love between Edward & Bella, and didn't pay much attention to the writing, I just noticed it wasn't that good.

And I really disliked Breaking Dawn, I think it was terrible in so many ways.
Wait, Bella and Edward love each other? Why?

In all seriousness, it's rather difficult to say exactly why I wasn't drawn into the book. The writing style was part of the issue, but I manage to enjoy many books that are inexpertly written. The questionable themes was definitely one of the main reasons. I didn't like Bella from the very start and Edward's actions sort of disturbed me.


Now back to the guys.

I'm not sure if this has been asked already...
From a guy's perspective, what do you think of Bella? What do you think Edward sees in her?
I'm actually an anti. I don't like the Twilight series at all.

I'm here because I enjoy discussing literature and I think it's often much more interesting to talk to people who disagree with you.

And yes, I have read the books. ;)

Locked