Writers Central

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Jeminunzi
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Writers Central

Post by Jeminunzi »

hehe, i'm not really a writer, but as long as it doesn't leave the plot too empty or missing something entirely, i love plot twists. :)

My economics teacher must think that I'm a horrible student. I totally wasnt paying attention today. I entirely had a plot revelation for NaNo during his class. Naturally I forgot to write it down, but at least I remember so far. :) hehe
Students working in New Media are bored in the summer, I take banner requests! PM me
oleander
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by oleander »

RajaniArchana wrote:Hey guys! Got a question: As writers, do you ever feel this great sort of pleasure in writing a plot twist you know will just shock the hell out of everyone? :D i did that today and I was just like " :twisted: MWAHAAHA! No one will see THAT coming!"

Ugh, I wish I could do NaNo this year, I've never done it before, but I've already got three writing projects going. :(
oh for sure! i'm always worried, though, that they can see the twist coming a mile away. it's hard not to second guess yourself sometimes.

i am so pumped for NaNo! We have November 11th off for Remembrance Day so i've booked the 10th off as well so I now have a 4 day weekend during NaNo. I can't wait to lock myself away and write. It should be easier this year too because I have a laptop now, and can work on it just about anywhere.

it's too bad that Twilight comes out during NaNo because a lot of precious writing time will be spent sitting in the theatre one of the dozen times i plan on going. ;)
PiXiE_Shopaholic1025
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by PiXiE_Shopaholic1025 »

Ah, Nano is coming up!! I can't wait! I'm so excited for it to start. I actually set up a writing blog for me to talk about my story and post up updates and stuff.

http://eternallygrace7.livejournal.com/ Check it out. :D
|| "And I'm a Virgo!" || "This hostage stuff is fun." || ~Forever Switzerland~ ||
oleander
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by oleander »

well, NaNo starts for me in 11 hours and 11 minutes and i can't wait to get started! unfortunately i made an appointment to look at an apartment at 9 a.m. tomorrow morning so it won't be a late night for me. why do i do that to myself?

so...happy writing everyone!!! it'll be fun to track each other's progress as we suffer through another november.
Laura
Wandering Through Town

Post by Laura »

NaNo in 10-ish hours. I'm uber excited. I pulling an all nighter. I wish that I could explain my plot but it's really just rattling around in my brain and it would be so difficult to type out in so few words! :mrgreen:
They were perfect, they were beautiful.They met in the middle of nowhere, in the middle of nothing, and kissed where everyone could see.No words. No before.No after. They kissed and it was perfect. It was beautiful. It was everything. It was nothing. -AFI
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Post by debussygirl »

My friend's having a Halloween party and she told me to bring a scary story, but I think I'm going to write one. Hmm, I hope that it'll be good, considering that I've never tried to write anything scary before. I think I'm going to go with a ghost of the Civil War...*ponders*
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
oleander
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by oleander »

So, my nano friends...how's everyone making out?

I had a productive weekend, am hoping to get some work done tonight because the rest of my week is booked up until the weekend (going to a Feist concert on Thursday :)). The story I had intended to work on is so not what i'm actually doing! I was going to work on some extra scenes for another story I was working on, but the characters were having none of that, so i was unknowingly railroaded into writing the second book to their story. (sometimes i really hate when they do that...these two characters are persistent!)

7370 words down, 42630 to go!
epona
Settled in Forks

Post by epona »

Wow it has been WAY TOO LONG since i've been on the lex - and seems since the makeover there are aload of new faces!! :D

anyhow if anyones interested i have been wandering about the internet (supposed to be doing an essay but there you go - procrastination) when i came across a number of create blogs (note to self: i will post them here soon)

anyhow one particular one struck me (and has been mentioned by other bloggers as being excellent) and that is http://www.editorialass.blogspot.com

and in particular this article http://www.editorialass.blogspot.com/20 ... ished.html

It gives a basic and honest guide from the POV of an editor in publishing business. Now i have heard it all before BUT i never seen such an emphasis on the PLATFORM and once i saw the 'PLATFORM' it seems to suddenly be EVERYWHERE.

So i come to the point of this post

Ladies and gents we are all aspiring writers and the lex is a great community to discuss how we're all getting on BUT we're not reaching our 'potential' fans etc. so i have set up a blog using my penname Emily Cross http://thechroniclesofemilycross.blogspot.com/

I have plugged two lex inpsiring writers in 'my blog list', and plan to plug this site too. My hope is that if we network between ourselves and keep our bloggers alive we can all help each other to expand and look appealing to publishers (as there is now a 'follower' gadget section in blogger for fans of a blog)- as numerous articles have highlighted that 'platform building' doesn't begin after the book has been writen but begins during the writing of a book.

So please let me know what you guys think of my 'i'll wash your hand if you wash mine' networking lol
/ My blog / My Website / Writer's Chronicle Forum /

Thank you to Ren for the Banner
LadyViolet
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by LadyViolet »

Meep! advice needed please!! Although i don't believe i can technically call myself a writer (due to the complete inability i have to finish writing any ideas i have) i am a serious planner of stories. i had an idea for a story probably four years ago now after reading a Tamora Pierce book, that idea is still unwritten but it has evolved into a folder full of character developments, plot ideas and snippets of scenes. i would really like to get it written but i am downright terrified of showing my work to anyone so that they may give me some pointers. i can't even bring myself to show it to my boyfriend who is amazing at all things literature related (not least of all because one of the main characters is based on him :oops: ) because im worried he will think its rubbish. should i just bite the bullet and show it to him and see what he thinks and whether or not i should continue with it?
*Does crazy dance with vampire penguin*
I'm staying!!!
I'm on The List :D
Jess & Rach - Valek's girls ;)
epona
Settled in Forks

Post by epona »

LadyViolet wrote:Meep! advice needed please!! Although i don't believe i can technically call myself a writer (due to the complete inability i have to finish writing any ideas i have) i am a serious planner of stories. i had an idea for a story probably four years ago now after reading a Tamora Pierce book, that idea is still unwritten but it has evolved into a folder full of character developments, plot ideas and snippets of scenes. i would really like to get it written but i am downright terrified of showing my work to anyone so that they may give me some pointers. i can't even bring myself to show it to my boyfriend who is amazing at all things literature related (not least of all because one of the main characters is based on him :oops: ) because im worried he will think its rubbish. should i just bite the bullet and show it to him and see what he thinks and whether or not i should continue with it?
LV - if you want my advice don't show it to your boyfriend but DO show it to someone. A trusted friend. someone who you know will give you an honest opinion. Personally i think showing stuff to family and friends for a critique is putting them on the spot. i doubt your boyfriend would tell you its rubbish cause he 'loves/likes' you.

Maybe get someone on this thread or a beta reader to have a glance over and get their honest opinion.

I posted this quote on my blog today

QUOTE OF THE DAY:

"Better to write for yourself and have no public, than write for the public and have no self" Cyril Connolly

Keep writing, don't stop cause your afraid of what others think! there are a number of blog sites such as evil editor or crapometer which show excerpts of stories that are posted by people in same position as you and people can give their opinion on them. I'm not saying the people who comment are experts but it might give you some amazing help with what direction you should take this project!

but remember DON'T STOP WRITING :D
/ My blog / My Website / Writer's Chronicle Forum /

Thank you to Ren for the Banner