Discussion of the novel, The Host

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
ashleygill03
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Re: Question of the Week 9/1

Post by ashleygill03 »

I think that Ian was a generally good person who was just blinded by fear. I think it just took him realizing that Wanda felt the same pain and emotions that he felt. Once his fear began to subside he was able to see Wanda in a more round about fashion.
*Wanderer*
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by *Wanderer* »

Everyone has such great ideas! I don't want to repeat what everyone has said, but I completely agree with you all!

But what I think caused Ian's change was simply this: love.
Love is the most important part in any story, right?

Love,
*Wanderer*
Last edited by *Wanderer* on Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
threethings
Phase Control Expert

Post by threethings »

He probably dated somebody before all this happened, so maybe he fell for the first nice and new person there.
He also probably saw the genuine goodness in her and knew she was different.
■ E<3B ■ Banner Goddess ■ Taking Requests
ImageImage
vampirechick101
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by vampirechick101 »

Well since the beggining every human left had a reason to hate souls and want to torture them because they took over the human world. I always thought that Ian was different than avarage soul-hating humans though, I realized this since he said he felt guilty after almost killing Wanderer. I think that it didn't take Ian short to like Wanda, just the guilt he carried with him made him feel repentat and want to make it up to Wanda who did nothing to him in particular. Since he took over the job of being her bodygard he started realizing she wasn't a normal soul either and also grew suspicious that Melanie was still there just like Jamie and Jeb. Ian is also a naturally good person and not a violent one...well only when he has to.... but otherwise very sweet and helpful. I think that since she felt comfortable with him he started to know her better and trust her, this developed in him falling for her. I never thought or really considered that Ian was faking actually trusting Wanda at any point in the story becasue of the character that Stephenie gave him made him a true person who wouln't hurt people just like that so that wasn't an option for me. :D
I LOVE IAN!!!!!!!!!! :lol:
JACKHAMMER OPERATOR OF THE EDC! EMMETT'S DEMOLITION CREW WOOT WOOT!
Team Rosalie!~ every rose has it's thorns.
Mimi1=My Twi-Twin
You.Are.Not.Leaving.Me- Ian O'Shea<3 *sigh*
*Wanderer*
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by *Wanderer* »

vampirechick101 wrote:Well since the beggining every human left had a reason to hate souls and want to torture them because they took over the human world. I always thought that Ian was different than avarage soul-hating humans though, I realized this since he said he felt guilty after almost killing Wanderer. I think that it didn't take Ian short to like Wanda, just the guilt he carried with him made him feel repentat and want to make it up to Wanda who did nothing to him in particular. Since he took over the job of being her bodygard he started realizing she wasn't a normal soul either and also grew suspicious that Melanie was still there just like Jamie and Jeb. Ian is also a naturally good person and not a violent one...well only when he has to.... but otherwise very sweet and helpful. I think that since she felt comfortable with him he started to know her better and trust her, this developed in him falling for her. I never thought or really considered that Ian was faking actually trusting Wanda at any point in the story becasue of the character that Stephenie gave him made him a true person who wouln't hurt people just like that so that wasn't an option for me. :D
Yes! Yes, yes, yes!!! I agree with everything here. Love ur ideas.
And I also just love, love, LOVE Ian too. Have u seen my sig? :D

Love,
*Wanderer*
Last edited by *Wanderer* on Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vampirechick101
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by vampirechick101 »

*Wanderer* wrote:
vampirechick101 wrote:Well since the beggining every human left had a reason to hate souls and want to torture them because they took over the human world. I always thought that Ian was different than avarage soul-hating humans though, I realized this since he said he felt guilty after almost killing Wanderer. I think that it didn't take Ian short to like Wanda, just the guilt he carried with him made him feel repentat and want to make it up to Wanda who did nothing to him in particular. Since he took over the job of being her bodygard he started realizing she wasn't a normal soul either and also grew suspicious that Melanie was still there just like Jamie and Jeb. Ian is also a naturally good person and not a violent one...well only when he has to.... but otherwise very sweet and helpful. I think that since she felt comfortable with him he started to know her better and trust her, this developed in him falling for her. I never thought or really considered that Ian was faking actually trusting Wanda at any point in the story becasue of the character that Stephenie gave him made him a true person who wouln't hurt people just like that so that wasn't an option for me. :D
Yes! Yes, yes, yes!!! I agree with everything here. Love ur ideas.
And I also just love, love, LOVE Ian too. Have u seen my sig? :D

Love,
*Wanderer*

One word descreibes you're sig... ready.. AMAZING!!!!!!!!
I AM TOTALLY TEAM IAN :lol:
JACKHAMMER OPERATOR OF THE EDC! EMMETT'S DEMOLITION CREW WOOT WOOT!
Team Rosalie!~ every rose has it's thorns.
Mimi1=My Twi-Twin
You.Are.Not.Leaving.Me- Ian O'Shea<3 *sigh*
Jazzy
Learning to Love Green
Location: Vancouver, BC (Where New Moon is being filmed YEAH!!)

Post by Jazzy »

I never saw Ian as a soul-hating barbarian, even from the start when I didn't even know he would play a big character in the story.

He was always kind-hearted, I remember the part when ppl were debating whether to shoot Wanderer to give her to Doc, even then he had aversions to the torture and pain Doc would inevitably cause. He wanted the more humane option of just killing her fast so she wouldn't feel pain.

And when he strangled her, it was Kyle who egged him on. He was just following the "leader's" ( and his older brother's) instructions. And he felt guilty so soon after that.

So it was not realistic for him to have a change of heart the way he did, cos he was always the kindest of them all.
Team Edward: Cos I love stupid shiny Volvo owners

Private Nichole Silver of Team PG - Jasper's Confederate Army Second Rank