A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
kaitlyncullen
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Re: Chapter 20 ~ Impatience

Post by kaitlyncullen »

1. Alice tells Bella that the family will do what it takes to protect her because no one wants to look at Edward for the next century should Bella die. How do you feel about this line now that you have read New Moon and know exactly how Edward would react were Bella ever to die?
i dont think alice exactly knew what edward would really do, i dont think he had a plan for that to happen either so she couldn't possibly know that he would try to kill himself. but at that moment it is the truth to them and no one would want to face edward like that, he's their family, no one wants to see someone so hurt.

2. Jasper talks more in this chapter than any other chapter. What things do we learn about his character from the way he reacts to Bella? Were you ever afraid of him during this chapter?
i love jasper, i really do, so no i wasn't afraid of him at all. but anyway, i think this just showed how compassionate he could be and we hadn't really seen that at all before. he seems very genuine and caring. fyi: this is the chapter i fell in love with him.

3. This is the first time we learn that the vampires are venomous. What was your reaction to this news and did it make you think twice about the fact that Edward had kissed Bella?
i didn't really think about the kissing, i knew that biting was the way they turned because that was how carlisle became a vampire i just didn't really think about venom.

4. Why do you suppose Edward has been so adamant about not telling Bella how someone becomes a vampire?
he doesn't want her to be a vampire, he's not gunna give her anything relating to that. he just doesn't want her to know at all.

5. Alice has a vision of the dance studio and the proceeds to question Bella about any reasons why she might go there. It seems to me that Alice saw Bella at the studio. Why didn't Alice clear this up for Bella by explaining to her that she shouldn't go to the studio?
i dont think she saw bella there, if she did she would have watched her a hell of a lot closer. alice's visions are sometimes foggy and they aren't set in stone so she didn't know why she saw it or what it meant, hence the questions. and bella also didn't even know why alice was asking, alice wouldn't be able to see her there if there was no decision made by bella to go yet.
Private Kaitlyn Cullen of Jasper's Army.
"Forged in war, born of death, saved by love." - Jackson Rathbone. <3
amulaya
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by amulaya »

1. Alice tells Bella that the family will do what it takes to protect her because no one wants to look at Edward for the next century should Bella die. How do you feel about this line now that you have read New Moon and know exactly how Edward would react were Bella ever to die?

Still feel the same. It still makes me want to cry at their love.

2. Jasper talks more in this chapter than any other chapter. What things do we learn about his character from the way he reacts to Bella? Were you ever afraid of him during this chapter?

No, I wasn't. I think he has come a long way from the beginning of the book.

3. This is the first time we learn that the vampires are venomous. What was your reaction to this news and did it make you think twice about the fact that Edward had kissed Bella?

I didn't really think about it at all. I guess it doesn't surprise me.

4. Why do you suppose Edward has been so adamant about not telling Bella how someone becomes a vampire?

Because he doesn't want her to become one.

5. Alice has a vision of the dance studio and the proceeds to question Bella about any reasons why she might go there. It seems to me that Alice saw Bella at the studio. Why didn't Alice clear this up for Bella by explaining to her that she shouldn't go to the studio?

I think she knows that it has to happen. Otherwise James would find another way to get her.
"So, who's gonna catch me a grizzly bear?" - Bella
BlueStarlight
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by BlueStarlight »

1. Alice tells Bella that the family will do what it takes to protect her because no one wants to look at Edward for the next century should Bella die. How do you feel about this line now that you have read New Moon and know exactly how Edward would react were Bella ever to die? Well, before-hand, I thought that maybe Edward would slump into a depression if Bella died; as it turns out, it would have been MUCH WORSE--Edward would rather die than live without Bella!

2. Jasper talks more in this chapter than any other chapter. What things do we learn about his character from the way he reacts to Bella? Were you ever afraid of him during this chapter? No, I wasn't afraid of him- I'm sure Alice gave him much-deserved talking-to's while Bella was asleep... ;) I think that he really begins to see Bella for who she is as a person here; I think he wants to know Bella himself, not just through the eyes of her beloved Edward, or through Rose's severe dislike.

3. This is the first time we learn that the vampires are venomous. What was your reaction to this news and did it make you think twice about the fact that Edward had kissed Bella? I WAS thinking that SM's vampire world is so different from what I know! I thought that kissing obviously wasn't a problem, as long as there was no cutting of Bella's skin. Edward exersized extreme caution when kissing Bella.

4. Why do you suppose Edward has been so adamant about not telling Bella how someone becomes a vampire? I think he thinks Bella secretly wants to be a vampire. Hmm, Alice said "there's another option," which Edward VEHEMENTLY denied... well, he was just prolonging the inevitable.

5. Alice has a vision of the dance studio and the proceeds to question Bella about any reasons why she might go there. It seems to me that Alice saw Bella at the studio. Why didn't Alice clear this up for Bella by explaining to her that she shouldn't go to the studio? You know, I have been wondering that all along...gosh, I REALLY hope SM finishes Midnight Sun so this is cleared up! Maybe she knew it would do no good, that Bella would find a way to get there regardless.
Twilightlover101
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Twilightlover101 »

I loved this line, cause it was like saying edward has finally found the remaining of his soul and if he loses it it would be like staring into an empty shell that is unwilling to function any longer. I loved the passion and truth of the words.

That he really does understand what is goind on. That he is quite caring and understands what bella is feeling.

I don't think much about it, and I though Edward can kiss her all he wants, just wishing it were me.

Because, he was scared that it would fuel her desire to become one even more, and if he does change her she might regret it and end up hating him.

I don't think Alice saw bella there...yet. She only sees things when the decison is made bella made the decision much later in the book.
viokagloring
Wandering Through Town

Post by viokagloring »

i loved the line to begin with. but after i read New Moon, i realized that it was much worse than Alice had anticipated. that not only did Edward become severely depressed, but that he would rather die than be without Bella. that is so beautiful!!!

i was never afraid of Jasper. even in the first chapter of New Moon. its understandable. at least for me. i gathered that he really does care for Bella too. he tries to reassure her and calm her down with his gift.

again. it didnt surprise me at all. i did actually think about how Edward was able to kiss Bella. but then i figured, like the bite of pizza, that it isnt enough venom to harm Bella.

he probably doesnt want to give her any ideas. and he wants to protect her. always.

isnt not until the next chapter that Bella makes up her mind to go? Alice still doesnt warn her about then either. maybe because she knew it had to happen that way. maybe if it happened any other way, vampires might become exposed. big no no. i dont know really. its Alice. i wouldnt bet against her. haha.

...strong emotions can alter us in permanent ways.
*TwilightIsMyDrug*

Post by *TwilightIsMyDrug* »

It's a pretty powerful statement. I really believe that the Cullen family doesn't want to see what would happen to Edward if Bella perished. I believe their concern was sincere.

Not afraid at all. I see why Alice loves him.

You know, I can't really remember what my initial reaction was last year. I did just read this chapter and I DEF did wonder about it this time. Apparently, Edward wouldn't have kissed her if he thought he was putting her in any danger. So it must be safe.

I don't think he wants to put any ideas in her head. He's already aware how much she would sacrifice to be with him..

I wondered that myself...but I really don't think she saw Bella there. I think she just saw James...
"You don't know how long I've waited for you."
Team Edward
'twahy-lahyt'
Lusting for Blood

Post by 'twahy-lahyt' »

Before I read New Moon, I thought 'of course no one would want to look into his eyes.' After I read New Moon and I reread Twilight I thought 'Well if Bella dies then they aren't going to have a century to look into his eyes.'

I was never afraid of Jasper, because I love him, j/k j/k. Anyways I thought that he really did care for Bella, because he not only sees, but he feels the changes Bella has had on Edward.

I wasn't surprised, I thought it was interesting though, and no I didn't think twice about them kissing.

Because he probably knew that Bella would want to become one, and he didn't want that for her.

I think because, she sees that she has a better chance of saving her, if she doesn't stop her right away.
lag28wa
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by lag28wa »

Even before I read New Moon this was one of my favorite quotes in the whole book. I loved the sentiment and before Alice said it, I wasn't able to fully understand the closeness and love of the Cullen family members. It speaks volumes that they are all so invested in Edward's happiness and really helps conceptualize just how long and hard it's been in the last century for Edward being alone. Anyways on the topic, I only love the statement even more after reading New Moon, it would be tragic both for the Cullens and obviously Edward to lose Bella, she's changed his life, which has in turn changed theirs as well.

I was never afraid of his during this chapter, I find Jasper extremely interesting and I was glad that he talked more her. It was nice to see how protective he was over Bella and especially Alice. Up until now Jasper was portrayed as possibly on the fence about Bella's involvement with Edward, but now we see he seems to be as devoted to the relationship as the rest of the family members (aside from Rosalie)

I thought it was incredibly interesting that they were venomous and it was just another reason that I like Stephenie's vampires so much, because they are so outside of the norm in awesome ways. I've said it before, apparently I am dense because I actually didn't think twice about Bella and Edward kissing regarding the venom. It helped explain part of the reason for his reactions to her kissing him, especially when she did it open-mouthed, but I didn't really think too deeply about it, like what if she had a cut in her mouth, etc, etc.

I'm going to answer similarly to how I did with another, I think he doesn't want her to know any more details than necessary both to not scare her, and also because he maybe doesn't want her to get any ideas. Strong love can cloud judgement, Edward really doesn't want Bella to become a vampire or want to become one, so maybe he is afraid that if she knows the process her love for him will make her risk consequences just to be with him for eternity, he doens't want to see her take those risks.

Hmm, I didn't think that Alice saw Bella going to the studio until Bella had decided to do it and she wrote the note to Edward. I think she knew that Bella had a history there and she wondered what Bella's connection was to the place and how strong it was, she may have been trying to find out if Bella had any reason to go there, even if Bella didn't know it yet. I think Alice was doing some puzzling there. Perhaps if she told Bella not to go there, Bella might be inclined to go there even more.
It is not length of life, but depth of life---Ralph Waldo Emerson
Banner by emaleth @ Vesparium
Destani
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by Destani »

I think that, at the time, nobody knew how Edward would react for sure. We see in Victoria and Irina two very different ways of dealing with a mate's death. Each vampire is very attached to their mate and the death of a mate affects them significantly but how they choose to respond to it is different for each vampire. No matter what, Alice knew that Edward would never be same if Bella died. I think it is still a very touching line and shows Alice's affection for Edward even though we now know exactly what Edward would do.

I have never been afraid of Jasper. He may be distant from Bella sometimes and I know the reason behind that distance but (with the one exception in NM) he is always calm and courteous towards her. Jasper is a perfect gentleman. I loved the way he questioned Alice during her vision to help her get as much detail out of it as possible.

I was reading so fast that I didn't stop to think about the implications venom might have on kissing. I just took in the information and plowed on ahead.

I thought he didn't want Bella to become a vampire, although I wasn't sure of his reason yet.

5. Alice has a vision of the dance studio and then proceeds to question Bella about any reasons why she might go there. It seems to me that Alice saw Bella at the studio. Why didn't Alice clear this up for Bella by explaining to her that she shouldn't go to the studio?
I don't think that Alice actually saw Bella there. Alice said that something wasn't complete, that there was still a decision yet to be made, so looking back I think that Alice didn't see Bella there because she hadn't decided to go there yet. Once Bella recognized the room, Alice worried that Bella's path might somehow lead her to the studio where James would be waiting so she wanted to make sure Bella didn't have any plans or reason to go there, which she didn't at that point. I don't think she explained that Bella shouldn't go to the studio because she didn't see a need for it. She told Bella she saw James waiting there and she never thought that Bella would willingly go to him.
Images courtesy of: http://robbuz.deviantart.com/
Twilove

Post by Twilove »

1. Alice tells Bella that the family will do what it takes to protect her because no one wants to look at Edward for the next century should Bella die. How do you feel about this line now that you have read New Moon and know exactly how Edward would react were Bella ever to die?well if i were Alice i wouldent want to see Edward if Bella died i mean the guy was a wreck but i never thought he would be suicidel

2. Jasper talks more in this chapter than any other chapter. What things do we learn about his character from the way he reacts to Bella? Were you ever afraid of him during this chapter?no as much afraid but worried since he was so new to the "vegetarian" lifestyle you never knew when he would just lose it but Alice was always keeping him calm

3. This is the first time we learn that the vampires are venomous. What was your reaction to this news and did it make you think twice about the fact that Edward had kissed Bella?well ya since its in there spit the thought of them kissing open mouth is kinda scary but she wouldent have turned into a vamp anyway the venom needs to go into the bloodstream to have effect his venom would go into her stomoach and not do anything

because he didnt want to give her any ideas he had to have known that that conversation would come but was trying to avoid it

5. Alice has a vision of the dance studio and the proceeds to question Bella about any reasons why she might go there. It seems to me that Alice saw Bella at the studio. Why didn't Alice clear this up for Bella by explaining to her that she shouldn't go to the studio?because Bella was doing a pretty good job at not maing up her mind when they were at the airport she was still confused if she should stay or go and you know that Alice can only see what someones gonna do when they completly make up there mind so when she was on her way to the bathroom it was prob to lat or Alice to do anything about it