General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Lunna-san
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Re: Breaking Dawn-I liked it

Post by Lunna-san »

I confess that it took me sometime to get used to the book. It's so different from the other three. And there was so much especulation about everything! The wedding, the Volturi, Jacob, Bella as a vampire. So many fanfics about BD. I read a few of them and I still never saw Renesmee coming! It was amazing to realize how much SM can surprise us. And the best part is, there is still room for sequels and more stories can be written about it. I write fanfics and I'm almost planning writting a story about Renesmee and Jacob.

I ended the book very happy and I'm reading again, trying to get a clue of things that I missed on the first read. I love Book 2. I love the new characters. I remember how I missed Edward, but now I see that I was being silly. He was there almost all the time. It was a pity that we couldn't see his POV. I wanted to see him with Renesmee - but still, there is room for a book by Nessie's POV.

There wasn't the snuggling of the previous books, but Bella and Edward's relationship changed. This isn't a bad thing. I loved the way they stood toguether, side by side. Not the human who needed to be protected from everything and everyone, including Edward himself. But someone who could stay by herself. A mate to Edward. All his sacrifice to keep Bella alive was rewarded. How could I be angry with this book? With Stephenie?

About the final battle, I may have expected more. But I'm happy that anyone actually died. I love the Cullens too much. I'd hate to read that Carlisle or Emmett got killed in the middle of the battle. The book didn't turn into a bloody tragedy like Harry Potter. Rowlling killed all my favorite characters. All of them, one after the other. So I'm happy to think that Twilight charactres remanin alive and happy for the eternity. This is more than I couid ever wished. So, yes, i love the fourth book. As much as I love the first one.
smalltowngirl
Settled in Forks

Post by smalltowngirl »

I read Breaking Dawn twice by now and I THINK I like it. My thoughts changed from "Oh my God, that's so funny" to "I can't believe she really wrote that" to "......!!"
I really loved the first book, the whole wedding thing and of course Isle Esme. But then the weird things started and I found myself flashing pages faster and faster, mumbling OH MY GOD over and over. Then came Jake's book and at first I was quite disappointed not to see things from Bella's perspective. Soon I got used to Jake, though. It was cool to be inside HIS head for once. After Bella was changed, I was happy that everything worked out so well for her. I still don't know what exactly to think about Renesmee, but as she is what Edward and Bella wanted, I try to like her more.
I also liked the whole witness-summoning business because it gave insights to the lives of more vampires all around the world. In the end, I was happy for everybody that everything went fine. I had hoped for a happyend from the beginning. And to be honest, Edward and Bella deserve one, don't they??
So all in all, it was quite a reading experience. I don't say it is my favourite book of the series (which is and remains Twilight), but still there is no reason to absolutely tear the book in pieces (metaphorically) as I've seen so many others do. In my opinion, it is a worthy conclusion of the saga.
My only problem now is that after having read Breaking Dawn, it's all the more difficult for me to imagine Robert and Kristen as Edward and Bella. It simply doesn't work in my imagination.
But I guess we'll see in November... ;)
*Member of Team Edward*
*Twilight Riddler*

"There's no point to forever without you. I wouldn't want one day without you."
"Well, that's a relief."

FidoLover
Settled in Forks

Post by FidoLover »

I thought Breaking Dawn was the perfect way to end the series. After I finished reading it, I kind of felt like it was written by a different author. But I realized of course it was going to seem different from the other book. Bella and Edward were out of school so there were going to be new obstacles to overcome. I thought Stephenie did a great job by explaining both sides of the story. Not only did we get our fair share of hearing about more vampires, but we learned about the werewolves. Breaking Dawn allowed us to see what life in the pack was which I thought was really interesting. Breaking Dawn is in a tie with Twilight for my favorite book of the series.
Alice-Is-Awesome
Wandering Through Town

Post by Alice-Is-Awesome »

I liked Breaking Dawn, but I was really disappointed that there was no fight at the end!! I love Renemee <3 :P Breaking Dawn is tied with Twilight for my favourite book in the series. :D
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[/url][/img]
amy1675
Settled in Forks

Post by amy1675 »

I loved it, I would have liked a bit more action at the end with actual fighting, but I loved it. I think she covered all the questions that were floating around in my head. I love the way Bella finished at the top. Renesmee was a total surprise but a welcome one. It was like everything went just as fate had planned... Jacob stuck around and formed an unlikely bond with Edward just in time to be his son-in-law... a happy ending for everyone.

But I have to admit I was hoping Jane would get hers...

but again I loved it loved it loved it!!!!
Stephenie is a wonderful story teller, I can't wait for more.
CéliAmbre
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by CéliAmbre »

It's so beautiful to read how much people liked it...it makes me cry :) a bit.

Stupid me was too impatient to wait till I found a bookshop in Italy, where I was for my holiday, that sold Breaking Dawn, so as usually I cracked and looked on wikepedia...and I'm sorry, but there it sounds so crappy! It sounds like some kind of science fiction book by another author. I started crying right there and then, but I "ripped myself together" as Germans say it so nicely and decided to not make my mind up before I had read the book. So I started reading it, was immeadietly caught by the "yummi Bedwardness" and sarted forgetting my strange feelings about Renesmee, i.e. her name, her nickname, the pregnancy and all the other strange things. I cracked again and read the last chapter before I had arrived to Book II, but I always do that. I cried twice, a little bit when Alice came back, that part was so beautiful. And the other time so, so, so, so much, when Bella finds out that Jacob imprinted on Renesmee. I'm not sure why, but I think because I'm also a very motherly and protective person, though I don't have kids yet, and to think that someone is already talking your baby away from you made me cry, and that Jacob didn't love Bella anymore made me cry(more because of jealousy than because I'm a Jacob-fan...I'm not), and that Bella wasn't allowed to hold her own baby although she was the one who pulled it through anf wanted to have it made me cry of anger, and that she was now transformed, which had always been her goal, which pretty much meant the end for me then, although of course I saw there was still a lot left, and other things too. It was 4 in the morning for one, I was tired and overwhelmed with the emotions. Now I see that it's silly, none of the reasons I had to cry are good ones, but back then I had to lay the book aside to cry loudly for 20 minutes (and I never lay books aside when I cry).

I loved it. It was beautiful. I read it twice now, and I love it more everytime.

Some friends asked me to tell them what happens in the books, so I reluctantly told one or two of them, and they were as pissed as I was when I had read the wikipedia article. Now I stoped telling people, the plot just sounds bad when you haven't read it. And strangely enough, I don't feel the emptyness because it's over now as strongly as I felt emptyness after reading Eclipse the first time(because it felt like it was over then to me. I felt like Bella didn't love Edward the right way anymore, and that meant it was over. I got depressive, but when I reaad it again and again I started loving it too a little bit :) )

Can someone tell me where I can post questions I have about Breaking Dawn and the Twilight Series in general? Similar ones from Q&A, so that you can answer them or tell me if they've been answered before, etc.
kaw
Settled in Forks

Post by kaw »

I liked the book very much. It reminded me of the last Harry Potter book in that both were wild rides -- one major event or surprise after another. It also satisfied several lingering concerns of mine. Much as I liked Edward, I was concerned about Bella giving up her humanity, especially the chance to have children. I was also wondering how Jacob would get his much-deserved happy ending. Bella's pregnancy and Jacob's imprinting on Renesmee hit me with jaw-dropping, expletive-sputtering surprise -- but it took only a bit of reflection to see how SM had been setting up both.

I found the unveiling and exploration of Bella's "shield" power very satisfying. Finally, she gets to do the saving and protecting -- in a way that's fully and consistently hers. I also liked the resolution (if it can be called that) of the Volturi threat. We got to see the Volturi exposed and humiliated and outmaneuvered. To me, that's more fun than a battle.

And like many others, I loved the end, with Edward at last able to read Bella's thoughts -- but only when she chooses. Yet another surprising-but-right resolution to an ongoing issue!

I still wish there were some way vampires could enjoy human food, rather than just temporarily choking it down when necessary... but at least we found out that Edward can cook. There's an idea -- Edward and Bella start a restaurant! :-)

KAW
simple_love♫
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by simple_love♫ »

I LOVE Breaking Dawn!!! There is nothing I enjoy more than a happily ever ever after... but when I finished i was like "That's it?!" That was a story I didn't want to end. Renesmee is a great edition to the Cullen family. I got kinda mad at Edward when he called Bella's nudger a thing though... but he was quickly forgiven. And at first I was not a fan of Jacob's POV but after reading it I could not help but like him and unlike Bella, I will admit that I do get a kick out of his pain :lol: .
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノKitty.
sun
Settled in Forks

Post by sun »

Should I continue reading? I just finished Twilight and some parts of it I liked and some I didn't
I wrote about it in my blog, please check it out it you're interested and let me know if you felt the same.
Let me know also if you think I should continue reading it. Thank you! Here's the link.
http://myfriendsunjun.blogspot.com/2008 ... movie.html
-veiled-
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by -veiled- »

I think that "Breaking Dawn" was toned down more than the others, definitely. That helped us learn a little more about the other vampires abilities & other werewolves in the novel. In other words, we learned more characters in each family that would become one family after Jacob imprinted on Renesmee. Speaking of, I thought that should be expected because you could tell that he wasn't meant to be w/ Bella, but a part of her was. Besides that, I loved Jacob's Book the best because he is such a comedian. He makes me laugh with just about everything he says. Ex: "I got food in her hair." (after Bella wakes up from Jacob throwing the food dish at Rosalie, ha)

All in all, I actually loved it and would not be surprised if Stephenie Meyer plans on writing about some of the other characters. I wouldn't mind reading about Zafrina from the Amazon Coven or Jane from the Volturi Guard.