True Blood-- Based on The Southern Vampire Mysteries Series

Off-Topic Conversation regarding music, movies, TV, plays, etc in general the entertainment industry.

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Landiana
Helping Mike to Get a Clue
Location: Near London, wondering if the crazy lobsters have formed their plan of attack

Re: True Blood-- Based on The Southern Vampire Mysteries Series

Post by Landiana »

you should totally read the books - they are awesome!!

i thought that it was so sweet that they are engaged when i found out - i think that they suit each other so well and they seem really happy!
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4851042/1/English_Vampires
Please read my fanfic!

Team Edward
Dxplora07
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Dxplora07 »

so I read books 1 and 2, and i don't really know how to feel. On the one hand, I can't stand how southerners are portrayed(live in biloxi, MS, about 1hr 1/2 away from New Orleans) I hate how there seems to be no character development, i feel like how most of the traditional vampire myths being true in the books is pretty boring, and un-creative, and I definitley don't like how they just have sex randomly in the book for no reason....but on the other hand, I can't stop reading them...I rented the first 4 discs of season 1 from blockbuster(they didn't have the last disk, grr! >_<) and I like watching it...I can't explain it, but I feel almost as drawn to it as I was to twilight....although I know why I like twilight....anybody else feel the same way? what do you guys like about the series? do any of you like the books, but hate the show, or vice versa?? :) btw, I do like how stephen moyer is as bill, in the books it seemed like they described him to look like dracula, ha ha ha
G-Faerie08
Officially Bitten!

Post by G-Faerie08 »

Just when I am losing hope in TB, it turns the tables again. I actually really liked this week's episode..I saw a little bit of book Eric in the episode tonight and I was like, "SCORE! There is hope yet for show Eric!" I am so sad about Jessica..As soon as they were on the couch it totally clicked in my head what was happening and I was like, "OH SNAP! That's right!!!"

This episode I was actually getting a little emo..I don't know why..There were bits and pieces where I thought I was going to tear up. I'm a dork..I know.
gamb1t
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by gamb1t »

Hey sorry, I am glad to bring the Y chromosome to the forums. I love the show, but I haven't read the books yet. I'm going to start this week I believe because everyone I have talked to loves the books. The show is getting a little stranger as this season goes on...I don't know what to think lol. And what was up with the Fellowship guy bringing in a Bomb lol? We only have a few episodes left of this season...so I hope things get a tad more clear and we aren't left hanging for a year....
ImageImageImageImage
bluemaria
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by bluemaria »

I really liked this week's episode. :) Here is the first thing that comes to mind, more of my Gambit/Rogue Sookie/Eric connection check it out: http://pages.infinit.net/haruka/Gallery ... 385-01.jpg

Godric is different than in the books, but I like that he gives the vampires more depth than they had in the last season. The junk yard vampire council from S1 was very "Lost Boys". All of the vampires (with the exception of Bill) were evil, dark, goth and brooding. Godric has more interest and I think even though he is different than he was in the book he sticks more to the idea of vampires in the books. All of the vampires are unique in the series but most of the ones that we have seen in the show before now have been pretty one dimensional.

I loved Eric's personality in this episode. Wow, I can't believe it they actually gave him a personality in this episode- "Are you trying to start a fight" *smirk* "Ok, run along and be a good boy" *smile*. Oh and don't for get the dead on Dave Chapelle white guy impression with the FOTS guys. Pam must be giving him lessons on having a since of humor.

On a sadder note, poor Jessica, that girl just can't catch a break. I don't know what else to say I think Pam needs to have an intervention with the girl since taking care of her is the furthest thing from good old Bill's mind. Hoyt will be his regular old sweet self but I don't think he is going to be much help with this one. On top of that, I really think this particular plot device is going to come back to bite the writers in the butt. I don't know where but this is going to be like the "sound proof" walls I can already tell.

Ok, as for the rest of the episode, Sam in jail (not sure for some reason why everyone else is there, what did you forget Sam??) , more crazy Andy, Tara and Eggs eating Heart-Pot-Pie and having a little S&M sookie *wink* - I just don't care. Why would you take a bite of that bloody pie in the first place, why can't Andy try to stop sounding like an idiot, and why is Sam not quite sure what is going on??? Wrap it up already!
bluemaria

Post by bluemaria »

Dxplora07 wrote:so I read books 1 and 2, and i don't really know how to feel. On the one hand, I can't stand how southerners are portrayed(live in biloxi, MS, about 1hr 1/2 away from New Orleans) I hate how there seems to be no character development, i feel like how most of the traditional vampire myths being true in the books is pretty boring, and un-creative, and I definitley don't like how they just have sex randomly in the book for no reason....
Well I think that the books improved drastically in #3 (Club Dead) I got hooked after book 2 but if I went by book 1 I would not be so thrilled about the series. This was Charlaine's first series (and only so far) that is quite this paranormal, most of her other books are murder mysteries. I think that by the third book she got more in the grove of this type of writing. However, this for me personally (along with Twilight) is pure escape reading. I don’t try to claim that it is anything ground breaking. I think Sookie is a great female lead though, she has a lot of spunk and she has some witty moments. I enjoy reading the story from her point of view.

As for the portrayal of the south, I am from north Florida and all of my family is from Florida or Georgia for generations, Charlaine Harris is actually from Mississippi. I find her portrayal of the South to be amusing, and while it may be a bit of a caricature at times, there are parts that are quite accurate in my experience. I actually think the show portrays the South in a much worse light. I thought for example that it was funny in LDID when Sookie talked about the High School football games as being weekly social gatherings. You dress up, and go to talk to people more than you go to watch the game. In the small town where I grew up that could not be truer. I also chuckle a bit every time Sookie mentions going to Wal-Mart. I think as you read on in the series you will see that CH has a positive view of the South but she is not blind to the social problems that are still part of the culture in small Southern Towns like Bon Temps. ( I actually got to ask her about this when I went to her book signing check out the link to my blog a few pages back :) )

gamb1t wrote: I'm going to start this week I believe because everyone I have talked to loves the books. .

Oh I can't wait :D I am always excited to hear of a new person checking out the books.
G-Faerie08 wrote:..I saw a little bit of book Eric in the episode tonight and I was like, "SCORE! There is hope yet for show Eric!" .
High Five :D
Dxplora07
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Dxplora07 »

bluemaria wrote:
Dxplora07 wrote:so I read books 1 and 2, and i don't really know how to feel. On the one hand, I can't stand how southerners are portrayed(live in biloxi, MS, about 1hr 1/2 away from New Orleans) I hate how there seems to be no character development, i feel like how most of the traditional vampire myths being true in the books is pretty boring, and un-creative, and I definitley don't like how they just have sex randomly in the book for no reason....
Well I think that the books improved drastically in #3 (Club Dead) I got hooked after book 2 but if I went by book 1 I would not be so thrilled about the series. This was Charlaine's first series (and only so far) that is quite this paranormal, most of her other books are murder mysteries. I think that by the third book she got more in the grove of this type of writing. However, this for me personally (along with Twilight) is pure escape reading. I don’t try to claim that it is anything ground breaking. I think Sookie is a great female lead though, she has a lot of spunk and she has some witty moments. I enjoy reading the story from her point of view.

As for the portrayal of the south, I am from north Florida and all of my family is from Florida or Georgia for generations, Charlaine Harris is actually from Mississippi. I find her portrayal of the South to be amusing, and while it may be a bit of a caricature at times, there are parts that are quite accurate in my experience. I actually think the show portrays the South in a much worse light. I thought for example that it was funny in LDID when Sookie talked about the High School football games as being weekly social gatherings. You dress up, and go to talk to people more than you go to watch the game. In the small town where I grew up that could not be truer. I also chuckle a bit every time Sookie mentions going to Wal-Mart. I think as you read on in the series you will see that CH has a positive view of the South but she is not blind to the social problems that are still part of the culture in small Southern Towns like Bon Temps. ( I actually got to ask her about this when I went to her book signing check out the link to my blog a few pages back :) )

gamb1t wrote: I'm going to start this week I believe because everyone I have talked to loves the books. .

Oh I can't wait :D I am always excited to hear of a new person checking out the books.
G-Faerie08 wrote:..I saw a little bit of book Eric in the episode tonight and I was like, "SCORE! There is hope yet for show Eric!" .
High Five :D
I see, I didn't know this wasn't the norm for her.....I definitley want to finish the series. We have storm tasking this week out in the pacific, so I'm working mid-shifts, I'll have a lot of time to catch up on my reading. :)
bluemaria

Post by bluemaria »

Has anyone here read any of CH's other books? I have been reading the Lilly Bard books, a mystery series. They are very good but not light like the Sookie books. I am about to start the Harper Connelly series by CH as well.

Also has anyone read Patricia Briggs' Mercy Thompson series?
Edward_Addict
Completely Dazzled!

Post by Edward_Addict »

I didn't like tonight's episode that much. I thought it was pretty cliche how they made Godric seem like the vampire version of a messiah and everyone actually listened. Please.
All that retarded stuff about them throwing Sam in jail because they think he killed Daphne, without actual proof. Lame.
Yet more weirdness with Maryann, Tara, and Eggs. Enough already. It's been dragged out in every single episode.
And poor Jessica and Hoyt.

gamb1t - I'm sure you will love the books. They're great. MUCH better than the show. Just make sure you read the books with a completely open mind, and don't try to link the characters or events to True Blood. Everything and everyone is a lot different in the books.
I think they have sex for no reason on THE SHOW. I definitely don't feel like things are that way in the books; and the books only describe Sookie having sex, not everyone in Bon Temps like on the show. The Sookie books contain some pretty mild sex scenes compared to True Blood. I absolutely adore the books, but I'm not so fond of the show. I still watch it every week, but more out of sheer curiosity about how much they fukc up the story and characters than anything else.
Image Image
Sannois

Post by Sannois »

Edward_Addict wrote:I didn't like tonight's episode that much. I thought it was pretty cliche how they made Godric seem like the vampire version of a messiah and everyone actually listened. Please.
All that retarded stuff about them throwing Sam in jail because they think he killed Daphne, without actual proof. Lame.
Yet more weirdness with Maryann, Tara, and Eggs. Enough already. It's been dragged out in every single episode.
And poor Jessica and Hoyt.

gamb1t - I'm sure you will love the books. They're great. MUCH better than the show. Just make sure you read the books with a completely open mind, and don't try to link the characters or events to True Blood. Everything and everyone is a lot different in the books.
I think they have sex for no reason on THE SHOW. I definitely don't feel like things are that way in the books; and the books only describe Sookie having sex, not everyone in Bon Temps like on the show. The Sookie books contain some pretty mild sex scenes compared to True Blood. I absolutely adore the books, but I'm not so fond of the show. I still watch it every week, but more out of sheer curiosity about how much they fukc up the story and characters than anything else.
OK so to avoid sounding like a Parrot, I am just going to say Ditto to what Mandy said,
I did not like it. The whole Godric thing is dumb. But on a lighter note, Eric Joe blow immitation was hysterical.
The laurena thing is out of hand, the heart souffle was gross and ENOUGH with that crap already, Eggs is now a murderer
Next week, Looks like Lafayette might get in Taras face.
Hey He has become one of my favorite characters, even though he is not in the book hardly at all, This is a fun character, He is flamboyant, but oh so smart. Did you catch Tars future on the Tarots cards?? Justice!
OK the eternal Virgin is pretty sad, Those two are going to be a sad story line, Too bad.
But i keep watching. On another note, I have addicted another person to the books, Shes rabid for the next few !
LOL :lol: Kim
Every time I hear thunder, I wonder if Vampires are playing baseball. Alice is my personal shopper